caradco window parts

A quick learner from towaco, NJ says:
I have caradco double hung windows that were installed in 1987 when my house was built. I need to replace the channels in several windows. The existing channels are 24" in length . Two questions--- first, it looks like the channels cannot be removed without first removing the jamb liner, not sure why? Second ques. is how to measure the with of the metal channel. The front of the channel looks to be about 3/8" wide. Is this the way to measure? , from the front? (not able to see the back of the channel)
Any help would be appreciated, thanks, Tony G.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
It seems you will have to remove the jamb liners to get to the balances. Take a look at the Swisco Series 751 Channel Balance; they are ribbed channel balances. The Series 751 could be the one for your window, but you will have to remove it to make sure.
A home owner from towaco ,nj says:
Thanks for the reply. I looked at the above reference guide for 751 and noted that it says the channels are for a tilt window( my windows are double hung) Also, my existing channels are stamped 24 HD. Again, the 751 ref. guide says that the channel are for "23 Hd" Not sure why the slight diff. Could you check this for me, thanks
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
Hi Tony,
If you are not sure you have Series 751 ribbed channel balance please post some images for us to research.

Remove each window sash and place it on a scale to get the weight in pounds.

24" Series 751 balance with stamp option
23R will carry a window sash weight range of 10 through and includng 18 pounds
23HD will carry 18 through and including 22 pounds
23TG will carry 22 through and including 30 pounds

This information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.