channel balance for non-tilt window

A quick learner from Blairsville, GA says:
Stamped code is "21 12" - it is a double pane thermal window - we have weighed the sash and it comes in at 38# - the metal channel is 22" long. I have to verify with my son the depth of the shoe but can I assume I need either a S351 or a S390 (depending on the measurement he comes back with) - item #2175 for that weight sash??? You are literally the only one I have found that even address the weight ranges and actually has a balance for that weight of sash. Thank you !!!!!!!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Yep, you're 100% right! If your sash weight is 38 pounds, the 2175 option is definitely the way to go for either Series. Once you get that shoe depth you're good to go.

Trust me, I know your pain. I personally think it's unreasonable to list strength options for a balance without displaying what they actually mean, so I'm happy you find that information on our site so helpful. Thanks for considering us and please let me know if you need anything else.

I am actually going to have my son double check the weight of the sash and make sure his scale a home is accurate (off to the Publix scale). I found an old post on your site from Jan 2017 where one of your wonderful customer service reps named Paul said records he had showed that old 21 12 stamp showed a weight range of 31# -34#
Profile picture of Tom
It's never a bad idea to double check the sash weight. Better safe than sorry, right? Let me know if you have any other questions, we're always here to help.
My son said he measured the bottom shoe with 2 different tape measures and is coming up with 1-1/16" shoe depth - why is nothing easy - doesn't match either the 1" or the 1-1/8". He is going to check another window and see how much play there is in the sash- I know 1/16" on each side should be inconsequential but you never know - we only want to do this once - lol
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for getting back to us! I bet your shoe was once 1-1/8" but just wore down over time with friction. It happens all the time. I'm pretty confident the Series 390 will work. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.