channel balance identification & quantity; support bracket for upper sash

A handy person from northern VA says:
We are repairing a window with 1 broken channel balance. It is an aluminum frame single hung window, approximately 31" wide x 67" tall. There is a faint stamp on the channel balance track which looks like it says: 3160 ojBSI

There are two slots for the metal hook from the channel balance, but only one in use.... Is it possible that such a heavy window should have two channel balances on each side of the sash? (I have not weighed the sash, but it is quite heavy to lift without the channel balance, and one of the two channel balances broke when the window was only a few years old.)

We are wanting to make sure we order the correct replacements, and should we get two (one for each side of sash), or four (2 on each side of sash, even though that wasn't what was there before)?

There is also a plastic support bracket that holds the upper sash in the closed position, which is broken. We are wondering if there is a replacement for this? See final image.

Thank you for your help!!
Hi, I submitted a question about a channel balance replacement, but I'm writing with some revised info b/c I read the stamp wrong before.

I've measured the existing balance & I'm pretty sure it's a SERIES 385. Now I see that the stamp is related to its weight bearing. Looking at it more closely, I'm pretty sure the existing stamp says "3130". (See new picture.) HOWEVER, I'm fairly confident that these were inadequate for the load of the sash. I don't have a means to weigh the sash, but it certainly seems to be more than 23 pounds! (This is an aluminum frame double-pane window, about 31" wide by 67" tall overall.) So I'd like to get a stronger rated pair of balances, but I'm worried about overdoing it & having the window want to stay open. Any suggestions?

Thanks again! Your website has been tremendously helpful!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello! From your dimensions, we calculate your sash weight to be around 22 lbs, so the S385-32 side load balance with a spring weight of (3130) would work. We also believe you will only need one balance per side for the window sash. As for the black nylon fitting, we need you to remove it and show it to us with some dimensions.
Thank you for the feedback! I'll order the side balances. Since it's close to the next weight category, would it be okay to order the next spring weight up (3140)? All of the existing windows of this size are difficult to open (and have been for some years), so I'm wondering if a stronger spring would help. But, we don't want to make it difficult to close!

Regarding the fitting, it cant be removed without uninstalling the upper sash, which I don't want to do in the middle of winter unless we have a replacement part! I've taken some better pictures of an unbroken one on another window. Overall length is about 4". It operates similarly to a slide latch on a storm window, but it's on the exterior of the window. Seems to be intended to help keep the upper sash from drifting down, so that it's easier to latch the two sashes together.
Window hardware
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
If your sashes have always been hard to open, even when new, then it may not be a bad idea. It's possible the original installers simple selected the wrong strength spring like you suggested earlier. However you want to be very careful moving up to the next strength option. A spring can be too strong, which would make the window hard to close. Springs also lose their strength the older they get, so keep that in mind; your windows may have been easy to open when new, but harder to open as they grew older. I would recommend finding a way to get your exact sash weight so you know for sure. It's not worth trying to guess when it comes to balances since precision is so important.

As for this fitting, I've actually never seen this before. I don't think we have anything like this. I would be happy to research something, but I would need to know its exact dimensions. Also, is there more to it? I can't tell if more of it is tucked up behind the sash and hidden from view.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.