channel balance questions

A quick learner from Covina says:
Hi, I am in need of replacing a window balance with code #3390. Based on your forum I may be able to use one of these products. Two questions I have:
  1. I am unable to remove the window completely because the shutters installed does not allow me enough space. Do you know if I can install the balance with the window shut, slide the window up and then back down? From what I can tell, there appears to be enough space for me to hook the bottom of the balance, compress and then hook up the top while the window is shut/down.
  2. Because I am unable to remove the window I am not sure how much it weighs exactly. I see the highest you make is #3360, how do I get a hold of #3390?
Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Unfortunately, you will need to remove at least one side shutter in order to replace these balances. There is no other way.

As for the stamp, this is an old stamp that isn't used on modern balances. One of our stamps may still work, but you will need to weigh the sash to confirm the proper option.

While you have the balance out, I also recommend you look over your top and bottom nylon ends to confirm that the S380-34 you're looking at is right. This comes with the 19-005 top and 15-005 bottom. The stamp has no bearing on what these nylon ends are, so you will need to compare physical design and size.
Thank you for your response. I can get one side out so hopefully that is sufficient. I removed the balance and noticed the ends do not look like the ones you sent, so thank you for suggesting it. Any tips on how I can go about in finding the proper ends? Also, it is difficult for me to weigh the window without being able to remove it in whole. Can I just buy a balance that supports the most weight or does it not work that way? Please see images attached.
Thanks again!
Channel Balance
Profile picture of Tom
It looks like you have our S390. On your stamp "3390 35," the 35 stands for for 35 lbs. Please confirm the length 34." If it is, select the 3360 option. A pair will carry 32 through and including 35 lbs.
A quick learner from Covina, CA says:
Just to be clear, is the length that you are asking to measure including the plastic ends or just the bare metal balance? Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom

You just want to measure the metal channel.

I am just about to order the S390 per our conversation up top but then realized that the nylon ends may have not been verified. Is it safe to assume S390 will come with the proper ends, if not, how do I order them? Thanks.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Our Series 390 comes complete with the nylon ends. Just match the ends of the 19-002 top and  the 15-001 (1-1/8" depth) bottom fittings to yours. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.