coil balance for window

A quick learner from Delaware says:
The lower sash of the window that was installed 10/14/2004 won't stay up. I have taken off the lower window and the coils on both sides are all coiled up on the bottom. I can't figure out what company made the window. The coils look very different than all the YouTubes videos I've watched to get this far. I am going to send a photo of the 2 sides of coils and the 2 stickers still on the window. Can you please help me find replacement parts and a video I can watch to find out how to do it?

Thank you so much,
Pam
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5026.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5025.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5024.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5023.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5022 (2).JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Pam. I actually don't recognize this balance system. I agree that it looks different from most common setups.

I think we can still help, but before I recommend anything I would like a photo of the pivot shoe out of the frame so that I can see it without obstruction. I would also like you to tell me its exact width and thickness, if possible.

The video below should be of some help.

Thank you for the very helpful info. I had already taken the plastic covers off because I thought I could unscrew the top of the spring assembly and slide it up and out the top of the channel where there is a cutout. However, I can't move the plastic top piece of the spring assembly any direction. I'm afraid to make a useless cutout since I can't get any movement. I can make the cutout and remove the 3 coils on one side and one on the other along with the shoe but I don't think that is enough to get the window completely repaired. An additional complication is that the grey piece at the bottom of the right side of the window which turns the locking mechanism was broken also. So I need another one of them too. The usefulness of today's progress is that I can lock the feet up several inches and put the window in to keep the cold air out. Your first message went to spam and I missed it. I'm sending more pics.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5116.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5115.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5118.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5117.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Is the shoe disconnected from the coil? Note that if the coil housing has been in one place for some time, it may simply be difficult to dislodge. If in doubt we advise contacting a local pro for assistance. Seeing the pivot shoe out of the frame would still be a huge help to proceed further on this. Let me know if you have further questions. 

So the top housing on both sides is stuck in place without their screws in. There is a cutout at the very top which I had hoped to slide all the pieces up and out of but I can't get any movement and my husband can't force it either. It appears to be stuck on something in the back of it. The coil on the left broke in 2 places: within the stuck top housing and between what appears as the the second and third coils counting down from the top. The bottom coil is attached to the foot still. The right side only broke in one place just outside the top housing so their is only one coil. Both sides started as one coil because there are no connections on any other window balance in our house. It must have broken in the 2 spots at the same time and both ends coiled up and met in the middle. Thinking about physics, I don't understand how that could happen since one break would release the tension in the other piece but... The piece on the bottom of the window broke at some point before removing the window because the broken off piece was still in the foot and hadn't turned the release/stop lock.
I appreciate your time and can still cut a piece out but I won't be able to slide the top housing down to get it out because it really doesn't move either way. Although I still think I need it out to reattach any coil to, I'm hesitant to cut if it really isn't going to solve my whole problem.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Perhaps I can be of assistance. First of all, you have the former BF Rich vinyl window that was made in Delaware. They are no longer in business. Referring to the cutout at the top of the window, you won't need to make any cutouts on the window. Now I don't know why if the tension released, that the coil spring housing won't slide up. Sometimes, the frame adjusting screw (seen in your first batch of photos, IMG 5026) that is in the middle of the track comes out and blocks the movement. The bottom pivot shoe center cam has to be in the upright position (as shown in IMG 5025) to slide up. Also the top coil spring cover in IMG 5025 looks to be halfway in on one side and out on the opposite side. If you can force the side that is out side, you should be able to slide the housing up to the cut out. You might need a putty knife to work the side back in the track. Let me know if this helps, or if you have further questions. 

Paul, awesome help! I used a screwdriver to pull the upper housing forward with a lot of force and it came far enough to go over the plastic 4 point star thing. See photo. Once I saw what had to happen on one side the other side worked like a charm. I was able to slide everything up and out through the top cut out. The foot got stuck on the star thing too. The left side has 2 screw holes and the right side only has one in the star. I think the screw on the left side was in the hole that was not in the star thing. Here are photos of the star thing still solidly stuck in the tracks and the broken assemblies. You already have a photo of the broken thing on the bottom of the window that turns the foot lock.
Thanks for the help. Do you have replacement parts? Do you need more info?
Pam
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5120.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5121.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5122.JPG
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Perfect, thank you. We don't carry the exact pivot shoe, but we believe you can use the 15-228 shoe as a replacement, along with the Series 160 coil springs. To know what spring weights to select, look for stamps near the end of the coil springs. If there are none, or you're unsure, tell us the exact weight of the window sash, and we can calculate it for you. Finally, if you can't reuse the coil spring cover, you can use the 15-150S for single use coil spring.

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.