coil balance parts

A quick learner from Sun City, Georgetoiwn, TX says:

I'm a handyman who has a customer with broken coil springs and carriers. I need 4 of the carrier 15-102, and 10 springs. But I'm not sure which weight springs. The windows are single hung vinyl, double glazed, and the outside dimension of the operable vinyl sash is 29.5 x 32.5. I neglected to weigh the windows while I was at the customer's house. I see no marks on the spring I took home with me to indicate what it might be. The customer had information from the the builder's supplier saying they can be either 3050 or 3060, and 3060 will work for either. But that doesn't correlate with what I'm seeing of your numbering system. I'm guessing the window is about 20 lbs, which would mean I need S145-4. Is that likely correct, or would you suggest a -3, -5, or -6? Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

Wayne 

Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Wayne. 

The best way to determine the coil weight you need is to weigh the window sash. Once you have the exact weight, you'll divide that by the number of coils on both sides of the window to determine the correct strength option. I'm afraid guesses or estimates won't suffice. 

Thanks. Guess I'll get back over there and weigh them.
Hi,
I weighed the windows, and each sash weighs 22.5 lbs. Would you recommend four 5lbs springs, or four 6lb springs, or two 5's and two 6's per sash?

Thanks,
Wayne
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us, Wayne. Since your sash weighs 22.5 pounds, I recommend using (1) S145-5 5 pound coil spring and (1) S145-6 6 pound coil spring on each side of the window. This would total 22 pounds of overall support which will be fine, so long as the spring weights are within a pound of your sash's actual weight. 

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.