constant force balance coil

A quick learner from Pennsylvania says:
A year or 2 I replaced both balance coils that I bought from you, 7.5 160s I think, but the sash never did stay open higher than the original and now they seem to have too much weight and only stay open a couple of inches. Seems like over time the springs got weaker and weaker. Is there something else I should have replaced? The spring was broken so I only replaced the obvious on both sides.
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello!

The issue you're having sounds like you might not have the appropriate coil weights. Can you weigh your sash and tell me the precise weight, along with the total number of coil springs in the window? Seeing your original pivot shoe would also be a huge help. I will do my best to assist from there.

Thank you!

Thank you for responding and sorry for not responding last year. Winter came and I got too many diversions. But the coil has 31" P and 232208 and 7.5 31" printed on it. Seemed to be the correct one according to your charts. The sash always seemed too heavy for the replacement and slowly lost any ability to stay up when opened. And now it won't stay up at all and I have to replacement the window right beside it as well. The weight of the sash by itself is 14 !bs. Just let me know which coil you recommend so I can fix both windows.

The sash weighs 14 lbs and the coils had 31" P232208 #7.5 31" printed on it. Seemed to be the right one according to your charts, but the sash got weaker and weaker and will not stay up anymore plus the window right beside it needs fixed also. Please advise me on which are the right parts to order.
Profile picture of Emily

Hmm, this is a bit odd. The 7.5 stamp on your spring indicates the spring weight so you were right about picking the S160-7. If you have one of these on each side of the window, that would total 15 pounds of support which should have been fine considering the actual weight is 14 pounds.

I'm not sure what to recommend without photos and I wonder if you have something different. Can you remove an undamaged pivot shoe and show us some photos? Can you also confirm the width of the coil spring band? 

Thank you for helping. Attached please find photos. Bear with me. I am not to literate when it comes to the digital age.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20230417_123103.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20230417_123051.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20230416_174456.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20230416_174449.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

Thank you for the photos! It appears you bought the right hardware so I'm not really sure what the issue could be. If the coil balances seem too weak then it's because they probably are. The problem you've been describing really only occurs when the springs aren't rated properly for the sash weight. I know that you've already checked the sash weight but you may want to re-weigh it just to be 200% sure. 

So I weighed the sashes again and they are 14lbs possibly 15lbs. Is their a slightly heavier spring that I can use as a replacement to actually hold the sash in position. Or do I use the parts recommended as hope for the best? Thanks, Jack
Profile picture of Emily

If your sash is 14 or even 15 pounds, (1) S160-7 7.5 pound spring on each side of the window should have been enough support. I'm not sure what the problem could be, I'm afraid. However, it is ultimately up to you if you wanted to use a higher spring weight but we can't make any guarantees, unfortunately. I am very sorry for the inconvenience. 

Thank You for your help. I am still waiting for a suggestion of recommendation. Will it hurt anything if I installed heavier coils? Or would that cause the sash to be hard 5o stay down? I need to get the Windows fixed as the weather is getting nicer.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey there, Emily isn't here today but I will do my best to help.

Reading through your conversation it sounds like you're having trouble getting the right spring calibration for your window. To start, you don't want your coil springs to be either too heavy or too light. The way these work is that the tension of the springs is constantly pulling up on the sash, which is counter-balanced by the sash weight itself. If the springs are too weak then the gravity will pull the sash down and the window will be harder to open; too strong and the upward force will be too much, causing the window to be harder to close. In some extreme cases of the former, the window will even open up on its own.

All this is to say that if your sash is 14 pounds, then you need springs that carry 14 pounds. No more, no less. You do have a pound or so of wiggle room when it comes to coil balances but you don't want to go overboard. Stronger springs won't make the window work better; quite the opposite. 

More to the point, if the balances you purchased support 14 pounds but are still too weak, then the simple answer is that your sash is heavier than 14 pounds. What you're using is even stronger, with 15 pounds of support, so the fact that this system is still too weak tells me that your sash is probably even heavier than that.

You have two options ahead of you: reweigh your sash and take extra special care to get a precise weight, down to the ounce, without any shadow of a doubt. Or, you can take a chance on a heavier spring and hope it works better. That second option is a gamble, though, and there's no guarantee what will work or how well. There's even a risk that you'll run into the opposite problem and have a window that won't close.

That is what I thought. After weighing the sash twice already on a home scale that I compared with other scales, and the fact that the original coils were 7.5 each. I will try the recommended ones because I knew that heavier ones will probably cause that sash to go up, I will order another set for both sashes. Just wanted to know if I had other problems before I proceed with both window sashes. They're the same so I guess weigh the same. I will weigh the sash that broke after I fixed the one next to it. I just didn't want to the same problem. I am counting on the quality and hope the first pair I got from you didn't break again. Can't see that anything else is broken in it.
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.