counter balance for small kitchen window - labelled "10 4 L J CALDWELL"

A handy person from Seattle, WA says:

Hi there, I need to replace several window counterbalance parts and popout clips. The photos show one for a small window. If I can find replacements, I will order several more for different sizes. The popout clips are also broken or missing. These windows are at least 17 years old, when we bought this house from a previous owner. The only manufacturer label on the part (shown in picture) shows "10 4 L J CALDWELL".

Thank you so much in advance for your help. Kent 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1982.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We should be able to provide replacement balances for you but it will need to be a custom order due to the length of your balance. With this combination of attachments, you could have either an S380 or S385 channel balance. You need to measure as shown below. The Series 380 has a 1" bottom attachment, and the Series 385 has a 1-3/32" attachment. The metal channel of your balance should be 11" long based on your stamp number but please confirm so that we can make sure that you get the correct balance. 

We'll also need to know which series you'll need based on the diagram below, as well as the quantity that you'd like to order to get started. Thank you!

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Hi - thank you so much for the quick response. My windows are at my rental house. I will need to coordinate with my renter to go collect the counter balances to properly measure them. That may take several days - but I WILL be getting back to you. I greatly appreciate your help.
Kent
Hello again. There are 3 different sizes of channel balance I need. The attached pdf has quantities and measurements, and also photographs. For the plastic attached end parts, I identified what I think are the part numbers based on information from another supplier of Caldwell parts. Let me know if it makes sense to you. Finally, there is another part that is screwed into the window sash itself, at the top of the channel (small plastic piece with two screws). Let me know if you can help with those parts also. Thanks so much. Kent -
Profile picture of Casey

Thanks for the additional information. It sounds like you'll need our S385 channel balance. The depth of the bottom attachment is 1-3/32" but they often wear down a bit over time. The S385-14 and S385-23 can be found on our website, but we'll need to send you a special order link for the 11" balances since we don't carry balances that small as stock items. 

As for your top sash guide, take a look at our 18-008H and make sure that the dimensions listed on our product page match up to your guide. Thank you!

Hello again and thank you for the prompt reply. Yes, I measured and confirmed the 18-008H top sash guide (5/8") is the correct one. Let's please move forward with placing an order for that part, and the 14 and 23 inch series per the quantities I provided. And please send the special order link for the 11" balances. Thanks again,
Kent
Profile picture of Casey

I'm glad everything checked out. We emailed you the custom order link yesterday to start your order. Check your spam folder if you don't see it in your inbox. Thank you!

Ok thank you Casey. One final bit of help is needed. I found the custom order link in my spam folder and placed that order for the 11" balances (2). Then separately I planned to order the S385-23 (4) and S385-14 (6) and 18-008H (12) parts. I tried to do so and there are several choices of "stamp options" related to the window sash weight. I don't know that precisely, but it is required to place the order. Can you advise which to choose so I can place the order? Thanks very much - Kent
Profile picture of Casey

The option that you need to choose is based on the stamp on the back of your balance. Each length will have a different stamp on the metal channel that indicates the spring strength needed to keep the window open. 

How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.