crank operator

A quick learner from New Jersey says:
I can't get the crank to detach. Dont have a tool to get underneath seems to be 2 scews under the bottom of the part that the handle gets attached to. There isn't enough space because of the window sill. Is there a special tool that I have to get that would fit underneath.
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
There is no special tool. If you're unable to detach the operator arm from the bracket, try unscrewing the bracket from the sash. It looks like you can get at it from the side.
I was able to detach the operator from the outside (picture 1) but cant get it to detach from the inside (picture 2) because of the screws on the bottom of it that I cant get at because of the sill. Tried a bunch of hex screws but cant get under it. Also what part do I need to replace the one I have if I ever get it detached.
Profile picture of Tom
Oh, I see. Sorry for the confusion. I thought you meant you were having trouble removing it from the sash, not the sill. The only way to get at those screws is to remove the sill cover. As for the operator itself, our 39-171 and 39-172 appear to be good matches, assuming the dimensions match up.

Removing vinyl sill covers can be tricky. Looking at your first photo you sent, it looks like there is a seam on the bottom of the sill cover. That mean it might be one that snaps in place. Take a small screw driver or chisel and try to pry it up at one end and see if you have any luck. You just have to be more careful that you don't crack or damage the plastic on the frame. If you are not comfortable doing this then I recommend hiring a handy person to come out and do it for you.
I was finally able to get the operator off. The part I have now is Roto OP05-7508. I think it is your part # 39-325. The measurements are 4 1/2 inches handle cover, 3 1/2 inches screw plate and 7 1/2 inches measure length. Let me know if that is correct please. Thank you.
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Tom
Ah, perfect. I agree, the 39-325 appears to be a great match.
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.