crank out window lock broken in locked position

A home owner from Otsego Minnesota says:
Can you please tell me how I can get window open to replace lock as it is broken in locked position,lock just moves up and down without doing anything.Thanks for your time. Joe R
A home owner from Canada says:
If your window is a casement, there is likely a bar that slides up and down, engaging the window to lock it. Pulling the lock handle down should push the bar up, locking the window. Pushing it up pushes the bar down and unlocks the window. The locking lever has a notched clip that fits over a round knob attached to this bar.

this worked for me:

1. open the window as much as you can to create as big a gap between the window and weather stripping as you can.

2. slide a putty knife into the gap above the lock and then using a hammer tap gently to push the locking clip down.

3. Once open, the locking mechanism unscrews from the outside and is easy to replace
A handy person from Rural Blairstown Iowa says:
Kudos to the homeowner in Canada for such a simple, non-destructive solution! His approach worked great and I didn't even need a hammer. Thank you!
A quick learner from Virginia says:
Thank you I really appreciate it this is the only site I found that gave this example and it worked within 5 minutes after an hour of trying all other methods lol
A quick learner from Canada says:
It worked like a charm. Great advice
A contractor from Saskatchewan says:
Home owner from Canada nailed it! Nice work ??
A quick learner from Illinois says:
Many, MANY thanks from your neighbor down south in Illinois, Canada. It took me about 20 min, but I got. Had to have a little hammer help but it saved me big bucks having a window guy come out. Again...THANK YOU!!!
A landlord from Wyoming says:
Yay Canada, good trick! It worked in a couple minutes and no hammer.
A home owner from Alberta says:
AWESOME...
A professional from AB says:
I never write into these, really have to say a big THANKS, to this thread.
Problem fixed in less than 2 mins.
I was really worried I'd have to replace the window,

Fellow Canadian!
A quick learner from Dundas, Minnesota says:
Thank you " Homeowner From Canada!" What an easy fix for a window lock that has been broken for a couple years.
A quick learner from Trenton, NJ says:
Yup! Thank you!! The homeowner from Canada has the solution. I just used a plastic putty knife and it unlocked with ease! Now, to find and install the replacement...
A quick learner from Wisconsin says:
Great tip brother from nort of the border.. worked like a charm even in my small crank out garden window with double locks... I owe you!!
A home owner from Montréal, Canada says:
Thank you !!!
Got my window open in 5 sec
A quick learner from St. Albert AB Canada says:
I never write to these either, but just had to say what an Amazing easy fix this was!! The lock handle on my window had completely snapped off! Had it open in 30 seconds! Now off to the hardware store to get a new lock and finish up?. I was sweating a big bill to have this fixed. Thank you so much neighbour!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We actually just made a video on this very topic. In it, we explain how to best remove a casement lock that has broken while still in the locked position. Hopefully this helps clarify the very helpful solution already provided above!

A quick learner from Saskatchewan, Canada says:
This was so helpful! I wish I had found this too a week or 2 ago when I first searched for a solution for my locked window. Grabbed a butter knife today and inserted it level with the top of the latch and gentle pressure down and the lock released and window opened. So easy. Now to order a new locking mechanism to fix the problem.
A home owner from Alberta says:
Thank you so much. This is the only place where I found out this quick and simple solution.
A home owner from Redwood City, CA says:
Thank you. Have been pondering how I would do this for months. The method in the video with a slender tool in the open slot would not work for me as the hole is flush parallel to the window frame and inaccessible. I though I would have to drill a hole on the opposite side, then I found this discussion as I was getting ready to do that. 15 minutes later the window is now open.
A quick learner from Manitoba says:
I'm so glad I found this site and have to thank my Canadian neighbor for the instructions on how to open my casement window that has a broken window lock that is in the locked position.
Now I only have to figure out which lock replacement to purchase there are several options available.
How to Replace a Multi-Point Lock on a Casement Window [1080p]
How to Replace a Multi-Point Lock on a Casement Window [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to open a casement window that has a broken lock
How to open a casement window that has a broken lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.