cranks for 3 tier casement window.

A home owner from Willow Grove PA says:

All 3 handles for the 3 cranks for our living room window do not work. They were installed by Window Wizards who are now out of business. Do you have a replacement part for this crank. As you can see the handle does not work.

I do not have the paper work for window wizards because we were told that these cranks could never be replaced and that we would have to purchase a new casement window.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0465.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Looks like you have an old Roto type operator that used a "male" hex-type handle. Specifically, it used our 39-226. This may very well work for you as-is, but there's one issue to consider.

You see, the 39-226 plugs into your operator and is held in place by a black metal collar on the inside rim of the hole. However when these come out, it's usually because that black collar has broken. If that's the case for you, then you can't just put a new handle in there. You'd need an all new operator.

You could still use the 39-226 if you pad out the stem with scotch tape, but that's obviously just a temporary solution. If that's no good, show me a picture of the operator fully removed from the window. That will allow us to determine exactly what Roto operator this is. Depending on what you have, there may be further issues; Roto has discontinued many of their operators and they can no longer be acquired. 

Don't worry about that now. We'll cross that bridge when we get there! For now, just let me know your thoughts on the 39-226 and whether you want to replace the operator. If you do, we'll have to see it out.

A home owner from Willow Grove PA says:
Additional images
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0466.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0467.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0470 (1).jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0470.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Ah, perfect, this is a huge help. I know exactly what this is. Take a look at our 39-325 and 39-326. You have an older version of these two operators. The manufacturer decided to change the style from a hex type, like what you have, to the more common round, ridged spline type. I'm honestly not sure why they made the change, but here we are.

All that said, I'm very confident these two products will work for you. However you'll also need a new handle type to fit the new spline; I recommend our 39-205.

We also carry the 39-534 bracket, in case you needed it. Yours is probably in good condition and can be reused, but I thought I'd mention it.

Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.