storm door handle

A home owner from Waterloo, Iowa says:
HI!

Regarding the inside storm door handle 40-150, does it have the spring or whatever is necessary to keep the outside handle in the horizontal position. My problem is that the outside handle hangs down.

I could order a replacement from Andersen, but the inside handle only comes in black, and that would not look good on an all white interior door. I like yours because it is white and would be a much less expensive repair.

The door is the Foreverview A1527812.

The replacement handle, according to Andersen is the 35036, if that helps.

Thank you very much. Hope to hear from you.

Jason
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Jason. Yes, all of our inside storm door handles contain the springs. I should note however that it's inadvisable to use Andersen hardware for any non-Andersen door. Could we see photos of your old handle set? That would help us determine if we have a correct replacement. Many thanks.

Hi, Bob.

Thanks so much for your reply and my apologies for the slow response. You guys help take the guess work out of this. I like it!

I've uploaded some photos. It would be nice to replace the outside handle as well, since it's a bit corroded. So I'm interested to get the details.

I hope this helps!

Thanks again.

Jason
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190423_181419357.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190423_181426666.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190423_181432460.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us, Jason. We can definitely help with this. We can't provide this exact handle set since it's no longer made, but we have a couple different options that will work just as well. Start by looking at our 40-152, which has a push-type inside handle and a pull-type outside lever. We also have the 40-058, which has a push-type inside handle and a lever-type outside handle. The 40-058 also has a key lock, which is nice, but you'd have to drill new holes for it.

Let me know what you think of these options!

Hello.

Working through the pandemic? We appreciate you.

I finally bought one of the products you recommended, the 40-152. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit the door. I realize you were making your best educated guess, so no big deal. Since I've taken the original hardware off, we can get a better look at the situation. I've attached two photos.

I don't know if this info helps, but the distance from the top small hole to the bottom small hole is 5.5 inches. The distance from the middle of the top big hole to the middle of the bottom big hole is 3 3/4 inches.

Do you have anything that might work better?

Thank you.

Jason
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200523_091257396.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200523_091303527.jpg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I'm sorry to hear that the 40-152 didn't work. That would have been my suggestion, too. 

I have two other suggestions. The first is to keep your existing hardware and just replace the inside handle with the 40-150. The 40-150 is the part that has the spring which keeps the outside handle "up". Other than that, I would also suggest the 40-058 handle with the separate lever and dead bolt, which you can place were you need to match the holes in your storm door.

No problem. I'll order a couple of the 40-150. Sounds like an affordable solution.

Thank you.
A handy person from Naperville IL says:
I have this exact same door and handle/lock set. both my interior handle and dead bolt are starting to fail. It looks like I can keep my outside hardware intact and replace the inner handle with the 40-150.

Is there a deadbolt I can use on the interior to mate up with my current keyed lock on the exterior?

Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Please see our 40-039, this may be just what you're looking for.

SWISCO Quick-Fix! 40-150 Spindle Replacement
SWISCO Quick-Fix! 40-150 Spindle Replacement
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a Storm Door Handle with Deadbolt [1080p]
How to Install a Storm Door Handle with Deadbolt [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.