What Part of my Patio Door Lock Do I Need?

A home owner from Washington,Michigan says:
Do I just have to replace the latch for handle or does it come all together? I know I saw the bottom security latch on your site. Currently have no lock on door.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 71040E5A-1B07-45B0-A7F0-91EE78D62FAB.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 11543A48-F23D-490E-A618-BE926EE4C3AF.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. What you have to replace depends on what's damaged in your door. Does your existing thumb lever fail to 'flip' the door's internal mortise lock (the mechanism inside the door with the hooks)? If so, first remove your handle set from the door and try manually 'flipping' the mortise lock with a flathead screwdriver. If the hooks still fail to move, then it's the mortise lock that needs to be replaced. We can help with that, but we'd need to see a photo of it out of the door. If the mortise lock works fine, then you could likely just replace the thumb latch; see our 82-107. If you do indeed need a new bottom security lock too, see our 82-051. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Yes the latch doesnt make the hooky thing (technical term) move. Hook doesn't move to latch on. So I would need the inside workings and handle set?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named BDA45B44-0CDD-4AFC-85F0-97A7FEC4B29A.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

If you can't 'manually flip' the mortise lock with a flathead screwdriver, then yes, you would need to replace the mortise lock. It looks like it might be either our 82-226 or 82-227, depending on the hole spacing.  If your handle set and thumb latch appear undamaged, then you'd have no problem reusing them. otherwise, consider our 82-086.

I think I just want to replace everything. What info would you need? The screws are 3 15/16 apart on the handle. I can tell thw bottom is the 82-051.
Profile picture of Bob

The mortise lock is either the 82-226 or 82-227. It depends on the hole spacing of the mounting holes on the faceplate; on the 82-227 they're a bit further apart. Compare the dimensions listed on each shop page with your old mortise lock to see what lines up. Again, for your handle set, see our 82-086.  

Which screws do I measure?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named A24AB871-38F7-437E-B53C-8656E0201960.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

Alternate image for 82-227
Alternate image for 82-227

You want to measure your mortise lock just like the diagram above. 

How to install a Legacy Handle Set
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Sliding Glass Door Latch Lever
How to Replace a Sliding Glass Door Latch Lever
VIDEO
WATCH >
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
GUIDE
READ >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.