glass door roller

A handy person from Mclean, Virginia says:
I need replacement glass door rollers. The axle broke on one.
Please see attached picture.
The ball bearing wheel is 1.5 inches. The housing is about 7/16 thick and 1 3/8 deep.
The housing has the markings A-S 7873.
I don't know the manufacturer.
Many thanks,
User submitted image of their door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid I cannot confirm what roller you have. You are only showing the inside portion. There should be an outer housing, perhaps still in the door. Would you be able to show us the complete roller unit?
A handy person from McLean, VA says:
Thanks for the reply.
I don't have access to the door (it's my mother and father's home) but I think you are right. The second still functional roller assembly was impossible to get out, probably due to the housing still being attached. This one just slid out the bottom. I now know that I would have had to really disassemble the entire door frame to get the functional one out.
Any guess as to the model given the dimensions?
Is there such a thing as universal one that would work on most doors?
Thanks again,

Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
The 81-004 is a possibility, but that's just an educated guess. To be honest, many different rollers have similar inside portions, like yours. The 81-004 is one such roller, and may be it, but it may be a good idea to confirm just in case. I'm afraid there is no universal type.
A professional from California says:
If you buy the 81-004 rollers and they don't fit, you may be able to pull out the inside and replace that. Since yours looks well worn, the outer part probably is also, so this may or may not work.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)