groove depth of wheel on product 84-031

A handy person from Tarpon springs, FL says:

I need replace tension spring rollers for few sliders. I found some that looked exactly like the product 84-031 however they won't fit due to the depth of the groove which is 3mm

The original wheels have a groove that is 5mm deep.

Since these doors use both top and bottom tension rollers the 3mm depth is not enough to allow the slider to fit back into the rails. the combined depth of the top and bottom grooves is 6mm vs 10mm or about a 1/4 inch

So is the channel depth at least 5mm? if its a few mm more I can use the adjustment screws to take up the slack.

Thanks

Steve T

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I've actually never been asked this question before. Most screen door wheels have a pretty universal groove depth. I've never heard of that being an issue. I think we might be looking at this the wrong way. We're only talking about a little over 1/16" of a difference on rollers that have a flexible spring. I can't imagine that would prevent you from putting your door back into the frame.

Can you tell me the diameter of your wheel? Can you also show me a picture of your original roller out of the door? That may help us find a better match.

A handy person from Tarpon springs, FL says:

After reading your reply I see I incorrectly framed my question. I gave the rollers and tracks a closer look this afternoon. The rollers I removed are identical in appearance to product 84-031, I'm assuming the were OEM to the slider but I can't confirm that as I'm about the 4th owner of this house,

The slider uses 4 of the tension rollers, two at the top, two at the bottom. The top rail the rollers fit into is approx. 1.5mm thick, the wheel width is approx 4mm so fit is not a problem.The bottom rail is approx 4mm maybe a touch wider, the wheel width is same or a touch smaller.

The question is, does the wheel straddle the bottom rail?

Or does it simply ride on top. when I position the door correctly it will slide easily enough, but it turn its also easily knocked off the lower rail.

Is this correct?

I've replaced rollers on several screen sliders in the various homes I've owned and never ran into this issue, usually it was a very quick fix and on to the next item on the list. It seems I'm missing something but I can't put my finger on it.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

Steve T

Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Yes, the bottom roller should straddle the bottom rail. Sounds to me like you have an older style Crossly patio door, which did use a somewhat wider-than-normal patio screen door track.

It looks like the 84-031 roller has an inside depth of 3.10 MM and a inside width of 3.MM. I took a look at the 84-001 nylon roller, which is a little wider at 4.MM. 

You also say you're missing something. We will need some photos of your door to see what in fact you are missing.

How to repair a spring roller on a sliding screen door
How to repair a spring roller on a sliding screen door
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.