guardian window - top sash pops out of left channel when i close the window

A home owner from New York state says:
unsure if i need to replace the balance or just the channel
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20221023_081005.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20221023_080951.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. I'm not certain that I understand the issue entirely. Can you describe exactly what's happening when the top sash pops out? It doesn't sound like any common issue regularly associated with a channel balance, and I see no damage on your pivot shoe that would cause the sash to fall out. 

Would it also be possible to see a photo of the pivot bar at the bottom corner of the sash?

Tom, as I am closing the upper sash, just before it connects with the frame,
the pivot pin (same as pivot bar?) pops out of the left pivot shoe.

Just noticed that the pin on the right side of the sash is bent a bit - could that make the left side pop out as I close the sash?

Thanks so much for your assistance!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20221031_113145.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20221031_113218.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Yes, what you're showing here is exactly what I wanted to see.

The bend in your existing pivot may indeed be the reason why the sash is popping out, though truth be told I don't see a bend in these photos. Either way, if they're not aligned then that would mean that the sash isn't seated properly in the window, which would indeed lead to it coming out on accident.

Seeing a photo of the bent pivot would allow me to judge just how bad it is. Seeing one removed from the sash would also allow me to make a recommendation from our inventory. These are very simple to replace and I'm confident we have one that will work.

Here is the photo - please note the bent pivot is on the right side, but the sash pops out of the left pivot shoe when I close the window.
Also, there is no 'string' attaching the pivot to the balance - unsure if that's ok, as the bottom sash has the string connected to the balance.
Thanks again, Tom!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20221031_144435.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20221031_144232.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

That's not okay, unfortunately. The shoe needs to connect to the balance, otherwise it's not serving any purpose.

At this stage I'm not really sure what the issue is, so I'm going to do my best to break down how these assemblies function. Hopefully that will help you zero in on the problem and figure out exactly what's going wrong here.

The reason your window stays up when it's raised is because the balance counteracts the weight of the sash. The springs provide enough tension to equal the sash weight, which provides constant tension that works against gravity. The sash connects to the pivot shoe using the pivot bars, the shoe connects to the balance using the cord, and the cord is constantly being pulled up by the spring. They all work together for that one single purpose.

If any of these components stop functioning, or fall out of alignment, then the window won't stay up when raised. If only one side is connected, then only one side will be held up, resulting in a lopsided operation.

Concerning your pivot bar, the bend is not severe enough, in my opinion, that it would make any difference in how it seats in the pivot shoe. The shoe not being connected to the balance is a much bigger deal. Your next step should be to reconnect those two pieces and see if that fixes the issue. 

Hello again.
Here are 2 photos of the pivot bar from the right sash - though it's the the left bar that pops out when I close the sash.

Also included is a card re the windows that the former owner of the house had. Might you please be able to tell the manufacturer of our windows, as there are no labels on them, other than guardian, imprinted on the glass, or AAMA certification H-R25-44X65.
THANK YOU!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20221101_142343.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20221101_143714.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20221101_143757.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

That sticker unfortunately doesn't tell me who made the window. 

As for the pivot bar, I do see the bend more clearly now but I'm still not sure if that would be enough to cause the issues you're having. I suppose it's possible that if this bent pivot bar is seated properly in the pivot shoe, it would mean that the pivot bar on the other side would stick up a little higher. 

Consider our 26-433 as a possible replacement. This looks like a match for your original but please review its dimensions--including its hole placement--to confirm that they're the same.

Alternate image for 26-433
Alternate image for 26-433

Tom - I don't see a cord connected to the pivot shoe for the upper sash, as in the attached photo. The cord seems to be all the way up the balance - can I pull it down with a pliers and put it back in the pivot shoe?

I will also order a replacement pivot bar incase that is the issue.
Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20221105_112538.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Yes, that is exactly right. You can pull that cord down and anchor it in the pivot shoe once more. Just make sure to keep a firm grip on it; these are typically under a lot of tension so it's going to want to shoot back up into the channel.

How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.