mortise double latch broken

A quick learner from bel air says:
I need a new latch system and it looks like you have a couple different double latch ones. How do I know which one to pick? My door will
Not open and I am really waiting on your response to figure out which latch system and handle to buy. Do you mind getting back to me as soon as possible?
It's 7 3/4 inches from middle of top screw to middle of bottom screw. I need a handle system that works with the new latch system as well. Can you recommend both? Thank you.
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! The best way to identify a match is by comparing our pictures and dimensions to your existing hardware. That said, your mortise lock looks a lot like our 82-238. For the handle, I recommend our 82-080. See what you think.
A quick learner from bel air says:
I purchased the two items that you recommended, although for the handle, I checked the one for the lock included.
When it arrived, the only way that I could get the mortise lock to actually work (have the latched come out) was to press really hard on that middle button when I turned the lever.

Also, do I have to saw off a portion of the actual outside lock mechanism for the inside lever to actually fit onto it?

The directions that were sent are for the wrong handle so I am really guessing here.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I'm not sure what the issue could be. You might have to cut the key lock spindle to the correct length needed. That could be why it's hard to activate the latch. Take a look at the related video on patio door key locks, it should be helpful.
A professional from CA says:
Never try to saw off the tail of the key cylinder. They are hardened metal. Cutting them is very difficult. They break very easily when bent. Use two vice grips or pliers gripped close together at the point you want to break. They break easier at the score marks, but will break where needed with a little extra effort.
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.