part 87-147 - wheels too large

A professional from Scottsdale AZ says:
Good day,

I have received my order of part # 87-147 today - upon inspection and attempted install - the wheel inside the plastic housing is wider than the plastic housing thus binding on the metal frames of the window. The metal wheel is wider than the 9/32" that is displayed on your website. The Plastic housing and the diameter of the metal wheel are correct. The Width of the metal wheel is the issue.

Please let me know what you can do.

Thank you,
Thomas
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Good Morning,

I have looked into this situation. The axle of the 87-147 roller is just slightly larger than the housing (a little less than 1/64"). This additional width does not cause problems because this roller is made to lock into the windows on the ends. This roller should not be held into the window sash frame by the width of the housing.

It is possible that the roller punch out on your window is damaged, but most likely you need a different replacement roller.

I can help you figure which replacement roller you need. Can you submit a few pictures of your original roller? Do you know what brand and model sliding window you have?
A handy person from Paradise Valley says:
87-147 will work with the Masterview windows from the 1990's that are very common in the Phoenix area, However you will have to make a very slight modification which is very easy.

As this person noted the wheel(mount in center) is slightly too wide causing it to bind, it does fit but ultimately will booger up quickly and fail if you don't modify it.

I used a rotary tool(Dremel) to every so slightly narrow the Wheel Dowel and every so slightly widen the aluminum window frame where the wheel dowel binds. This doesn't alter the structural integrity of the window or roller at all.

I used a good Teflon Lubricant(sparingly) and my window now rolls perfectly.

This fix may be the only alternative, Masterview is long out of business and I have looked high and low for the proper parts with no luck.

In my opinion this is a horrible design flaw(at least for my window), two half inch nylon rollers are no match for a 48" nearly 50 pound window, the first person that yanks on the window while opening usually slams the full weight of the window down on that poor nylon roller smashing it to bits. These should have been steel with a brass wheel and much larger wheels for the large windows Masterview put them on.
A handy person from Peoria, AZ says:
I had the same issue as above with the Superlite Series 8000 windows, with the axle being to wide. I did the same thing,took a Dremel and narrowed the axle ends down flush with the nylon housing, and slightly widened the window frame where it was binding. Sprayed some silicon lubricant on the wheel assembly and it worked perfectly.
I agree it's a bad design having all the weight of the heavy window hanging on the 4 nylon tabs of 2 roller assemblies.
A quick learner from Sun City West, AZ (near Phoenix) says:
This is the only wheel assembly that comes close to the original. I think the problem is not that it's too wide, it's that the axel has to rotate freely installed in the window frame. The original wheel assembly had a steel axel that did not need to rotate because there was a brass wheel that spun on the axle (green wheel set in the picture below). The wheel assembly punch out in the bottom of my window frames have significant metal burrs that press on this wheel axle. I used a Dremel tool to grind those away. Also, in one instance I twisted a large flat screwdriver to "widen" the two walls in the window wheel well hole. It's a bit of a job, but it beats paying for new windows to be installed.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Roller-1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Roller-2.jpg
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.