patio door lock, etc

A quick learner says:
I have found the replacement mortise lock for my patio door, #82-214.

The outside handle pull is keyed (we've never had the key for it!) and I'd like to replace with NON-KEYED. The inside handle is fine, except for the turning lever which seems a little flimsy, but might be ok with a new lock. Wondering if it's more efficient to replace the handle set altogether, or try parts first.

What would you recommend?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4252.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4254.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4258.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4260.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4261.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. There is certainly a decent chance that the thumb lever is only flimsy due to the mortise lock failing. In which case you could just replace your outside pull with something like our 82-042. If you want to consider a full handle set though, see our 82-032 or 82-033, depending on the coloration you prefer.

A quick learner says:
Thank you!

Would patio door handles #82-035, #82-041 or #82-069 be options with this mortise lock if I decided to replace the entire handle set with a different style?
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Yep! Every handle set you just named is fully compatible with your mortise lock. I am confident that they'd all work on your door.

A quick learner says:
Everything fit well EXCEPT the mortise lock engaging the "keeper". The thumb lever does not fit snugly in its slot on the old handle, and may be the reason the lock hook does not extend fully. Next step is to order a new handle set!
A quick learner says:
I purchased the outside pull #82-042 online - it works great.

1. Is this the same pull pictured in the handle set #82-069?
2. Is is also compatible with with #82-035?
3. Can I purchase either of those INDOOR handles SEPARATELY, rather than returning the outside pull?

Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Linda! Thanks for reaching out to us again. I just got back from vacation and am trying to catch up with my inbox.

I'm glad to hear the 82-042 worked well for you. This is, indeed, the same outer handle that comes with the 82-069 (except the 82-042 isn't available in white). It is also compatible with the 82-035 set. I actually use it quite often when a customer has the 82-035 on their door and want a black colored exterior pull.

Unfortunately, the inside handles you see in our handle sets are not available separately. We are only able to provide these as kits. I apologize for the inconvenience.

A quick learner says:
Persistent, but maybe not so "quick"...

The new handle set arrived Thursday - REALLY nice - and the thumb lever seems much more substantial.
However, I started installing this afternoon, and got the mortise lock or arm to engage the keeper twice - I thought I was finished. But when I went to show a family member, it didn't work!?!

I adjusted and readjusted, re-measured, dismantled, and reinstalled, and it still would not engage or lock again...HELP!!

Photos attached.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4348.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4350.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

That is peculiar. Typically, when a new mortise lock doesn't engage the keeper, you have to adjust it a little to get it to stick out the proper distance. If you did that and it still doesn't work, try adjusting the bottom rollers. There should be screws on the sides of the door at the very bottom. If you turn these, the door will raise and lower. Play around with that and see if that helps.

Honestly, this is kind of a shot in the dark. I see no reason why your rollers would become misaligned by just installing a new handle. Still, it's worth a shot. We can at least eliminate that as a possibility. The only other explanation is that the mortise still needs to be adjusted.

Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Try removing the mortise latch 82-214 from the door and see if it operates outside of the door using the thumb turn or a flat blade screw driver.

A quick learner says:
Yes, I did that & it appeared to wok - did not extend any farther thean when it's installed.

Is there any other way to "adjust the mortise"?
Profile picture of Tom

Unfortunately not. The screw is the only thing that allows you to adjust the mortise. You could potentially adjust the keeper itself by padding it out with washers. Let me know if that works!

A quick learner says:
Thank you, I'll try that tonight.
A quick learner says:
Tom, padding the keeper with washers WORKED!!! Thank you!

I do think a conversation with the manufacturer about the specs for this mortise lock and keeper would be beneficial. Also, to consider whether the material the door is constructed of could be a factor. Ours is vinyl, so is there more 'play' with it vs. wood or metal?

I REALLY appreciate you guys hanging in with me!
Profile picture of Tom

Awesome!! That's fantastic news. When all else fails, shove some washers behind it. That rule has served me well in my years here. We'll definitely get in touch with the manufacturer for more detailed information, believe me.

We are very happy to help, of course. Please let me know if you ever need anything else.

How to install the Swisco 82-032 Handle Set
How to install the Swisco 82-032 Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the Swisco 82-033 Handle Set
How to install the Swisco 82-033 Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.