pella sliding door rollers

A home owner from illinois says:
I have a pella sliding glass patio door, is there a way to tell what type of rollers it uses before taking it out? I would like to avoid having to take it out and then wait for parts if possible.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. I am afraid it's really impossible to say what kind of rollers you need without seeing them removed from the patio door. If you have a Pella door, it might be the 81-098, 81-244, or 81-249. But that's about as far as I can narrow it down without seeing the original out of the door. If you are uncertain, removing one of your original rollers from the door and providing a picture, along with the height and thickness of the housing and the diameter of the wheel(s), would be most helpful in finding what you need. Many thanks.

A quick learner from Georgia says:
I believe my sliding doors are original to the house,circa 1992ish. Is it possible to identify the rollers I need from these photos? I hate to take them out and be without the use of the door for several days.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid your photos have not uploaded, so I'm not sure what you're referring to. That said, I can tell you right now with confidence that it's not possible to ID a replacement roller without seeing them removed. That's the only way.

Replacing rollers is a labor intensive project, unfortunately. It's not just something you can do in a few minutes. Proper identification requires removing the door at least once and taking extensive, precise measurements. Then replacement requires removing the door a second time (assuming you didn't miss any measurements, which would require further work. that's why it's important that you get all important measurements and photos the first time). 

You need to brace yourself now for a significant investment of time and energy. There's no alternative method, unfortunately. That's just how these are designed.

How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace the pre-701 and 701 Pella patio door roller
How to replace the pre-701 and 701 Pella patio door roller
GUIDE
READ >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.