pics of my 2940 and 2950

A home owner from Stuart, FL just North of Palm Beach says:

The original balances (from 8 years ago) were 2950 and too strong to lower the window easily. I had a contractor change 5 windows & he used 2940 & they work great. I have 10 more windows to change out...I attached pictures that show the 2940 and 2950 side by side. The plastic parts are similar but different.

My guess is to order the S385-30...2940.

Do you agree?

What is your recommendation?

I'll need 20.

Ken 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named thumbnail_IMG_0892.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named thumbnail_IMG_0890.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named thumbnail_IMG_0889.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named thumbnail_IMG_0888.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named thumbnail_IMG_0887.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for contacting us, Ken. I'm afraid neither balance you're showing here is the S385-30. They are both very, very different in more than just stamp. This is actually kind of a unique situation. Allow me to explain.

Before we go any further, I think it's important to clarify that the stamps are not identification codes or product numbers of any kind. All a stamp does is indicate the calibration of the spring and suggests the length of the metal channel. This makes sense given your post; the 2950 stamp indicates a stronger spring than 2940. It was probably too strong for your sashes.

The primary method of cataloging balances is via the combination of nylon fittings, which is what determines a balance's Series. In your case, you're showing us two very, very different Series. The 2950 balance is a special Series with a distinct pulley system and an extended cord. We'll call this "Balance 1." The 2940 balance is a more standard product that is commonly acquired. We'll call this "Balance 2." 

On paper, they're completely incompatible. Balance 2 technically shouldn't be used to replace the original Balance 1 since it lacks that extended cord I mentioned. In most cases, when you use a Balance 2 to replace the special Balance 1, the cord yanks out of the pulley when you close the window because it isn't long enough. That this didn't happen to you means that you are very lucky.

So you have two options. You can continue using Balance 2 to repair the rest of your windows and hope for the best. Since it worked to repair one window, you can logically assume it will work for the rest. However it's no guarantee, and I can't predict any complications you may run into in the future. Although your windows closed without the cord yanking out of the pulley, there could still be undue strain put on the pulley that we don't know about. This could shorten their lifespan considerably. On the other hand, they could be 100% fine and you'll get many years of service out of them.

Your other option is to opt to return to Balance 1, but it will have to be a special order since it's not a standard part. If you go this route then we'll need you to tell us the exact weight of the sash so that we can calculate the proper calibration of the spring. I don't want to just bump you down to 2940 because the rating system is a little different than the one used for Balance 2. It's best not to take our chances.

Ultimately, it's up to you. Please let me know how you wish to proceed.

Thanks for the very complete explanation Tom. I noticed the pulley system too & thought it was "unusual".

We had 5 windows repaired 12 months ago & the repairman used balance 2 - we have had no issues, the windows open/close easily & smoothly. I willing to take the risk of using balance 2.

What part # do you recommend?

I'm a bit surprised that such different nylon fittings seem to make no difference to the window movement.

Thanks again, Ken

Profile picture of Tom

Hey, Ken! I'm happy to be of help. I just want to make sure your windows have the best hardware for the job.

As long as Balance 2 has had no issues, then I think we can be safe going with them. Looking at your nylon fittings, I recommend the S395-30 channel balance (with the 2940 option, of course). This comes with a 19-005 top and 15-001 bottom, so as long as those match up then you should be good to go.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks very much, I'll place my order tonight.
Ken
Profile picture of Tom

Great Ken! Let us know how you make out, and thanks for considering our business, we really do appreciate it.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.