Original 1940s Spiral Balance

A quick learner from Lafayette LA says:
old part, original balance from about 1940 I think. Photos are from a different window
thanks
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balance 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balance 4.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hi- thanks so much for posting! 

Based on your photos, I would recommend our Series 500 spiral balance and our 17-012 bracket. 

We've been using this combination of hardware for wood windows like this for the better part of a century so you should have no trouble. 

Get back to us if you have any questions. 

A quick learner from Louisiana says:

Thanks for the info. Before I order, not sure which color to get and want to avoid removing sash if possible. I fairly certain it is the blue weight range. Any tips?

Also I saw in another thread that each balance rod should be turned 2-3 rotations. Does this apply to this item?

Also do I use the same screw for attaching bracket as well as the top of the balance?

PS do I need screw plugs? thanks

Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for getting back to us!

You may want to weigh your sash just to be 100%. I don't think you can even remove your sash for this kind of window, so if I were you I'd put a scale on the sill and gently lower the sash on top of it. It won't be 100% accurate, but it should give you a general idea of what you need.

Yes, 2-3 rotations should be perfect. If that's not enough, give it another 1-2 turns, but I wouldn't give it more than that.

You should be able to use your same screw. I don't know if you'll need a screw plug or not, these are generally used for a different kind of application. If your current screw hole is fine then don't worry about it.

Thanks for prompt response
I did try with a bathroom scale. I had trouble getting a consistent reading but I still think it's a blue.
About rotation: 2 -3, if not enough, how do I know it's not enough? My guess is rotate to a point where more would be forcing it...
Profile picture of Tom

Great, glad you were able to determine the color tip you need. As for the rotations, you should start feeling tension build after 2 to 3 turns. You will feel it get increasingly tighter with each revolution. 

Thanks will place order soon
Profile picture of Tom

Great! Feel free to update us on how it goes.

Hi I need more help please
Best I can determine. the sash is around 15#, which puts it as either red or blue. Should I go with the lighter range? thanks

RP
Profile picture of Tom

If your sash weight falls under both color tip options, then it doesn't matter that much which one you go with.  They should both do the job equally well. It would ultimately be up to you.

ok thanks! I appreciate the prompt response and all your assitance and information

RP
Profile picture of Tom

You're welcome! Thanks for coming to SWISCO.

OK all done. Thanks to Steve for some last minute phone support.
I was able to use old spiral nail holes for screws. It took a couple tries to get the tension right, but worked out fine. I will certainly recommend SWISCO to anyone for DIY projects of this kind. Thanks again for all your help.
Profile picture of Tom

I'll pass the word on to Steve. We'll be looking forward to your next DIY project, and anybody else you send our way is above and beyond. Thanks for the praise; we're glad to help.

How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.