poor performing balances

A quick learner from Pennsylvania says:
I just got 18 S385-13 channel balances. The balances appear to be a good match with the old parts, but upon installation of the first pair, my window is hard to lift, it sags when I let it go in the up position, and it makes a springy, boingy sound when it's moving.
What is wrong?

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Sounds like a problem with spring strength. It's possible the balances you ordered are too weak.

I note you chose the 1210 option. Are you sure that's what you needed? Two S385-13 balances with a 1210 option can carry a sash weight of 3 through 6 pounds. How heavy is your sash?
A home owner from Pittsburg CA says:
It is 3 pounds. These are very small windows. 1210 was stamped on the old hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I see. In that case, I see you ordered 18 of these balances. I would try another pair in another window and see if you have the same problem. I'm trying to see if this is just an isolated problem with those balances and that window. If you can confirm one way or the other, we will work from there!
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.