question about the 26-387

A quick learner from Kansas City says:
I have ThermalGard Windows by All Season. I would like to install the 26-387 Face Mount Single Action Vent Latch. My window frame has a 1" wide channel recessed with a 1/8" lip next to sash. The depth frame channel is 1/8". See photos attached. Will this item work on my window? Note the 1/8" lip in photo. Many thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pic for Lock0929.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

That 1/8" lip is a problem. The 26-387 really does need a flat edge to wrap around. You could maybe trim that lip away, but I'm not sure if there would be greater consequences for doing so. It would be an unalterable change to your window frame, even if a minor one, so I'm not sure if it's something you want to do, or if it'd even allow the 26-387 to work regardless. I'm sorry that we cannot offer an easier solution.

A quick learner from Kansas City says:
Tom, thanks for the reply. What are your thoughts on cutting a steel backer plate to put under the lock 1/8' thick to bring it up flush with lip? Your suggestion of cutting the lip down is a good one as well. The lip is steel and I'm afraid if I cut it, it might look a bit rough.

I just finished replacing 8 window pivot shoes (32 total/4 per window and had to cut the channels with a Dremel to get them to go in. Also replaced all wool weather strip, many locks, some pivot bar sets and 32 spiral balances.. Quite the project but thanks to Swisco all the parts fit and my windows no longer sag (the tops), parameters are weather sealed and open and close easily. Your company has some great "how to" videos and made the project much easier. I could not have done it without Swisco. Special thanks to your team for your help and shipping accurately and promptly.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Awesome, thank you very much for your compliments! That means a lot to hear.

As for using a metal plate, I think that's a really good idea. I agree that cutting the lip will make it look rough and that's obviously not ideal. Our 26-387 actually comes with a few shims, I probably should have mentioned that earlier. You may be able to use one of them to serve that purpose, but failing that of course you could always try to rig a small piece of metal to work.

A home owner from Kansas City says:
Tom, you are welcome, I think I'll try the shims first, then make a plate if that does not work. Best of luck to you!
How to install a Window Opening Control Device (WOCD) kit
How to install a Window Opening Control Device (WOCD) kit
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.