replace window hinges

A handy person from Barrington RI says:
I have uploaded a photo of the window hinge (a top and bottom view). This hinge is working (the right window). But the small arm on the LEFT window (from inside) is missing! So, I need to replace the hinge for the LEFT window. There are no markings or #s--except for RIMCO. Anyway, I doubt that I can get a perfect match but I'm willing to replace the top and bottom so that the hinges will be uniform.

Here are the measurements:

-- 9.5 inches (the track that runs along the bottom of the window frame
--width of track: 2 cm/.787 inches, so close to ¾ inch
--the stack: 1.3 cm/13mm/.51 inch
--8.25 inches: the part that runs under the sash--the window that opens
--5.25 inches small window hinge, or slide arm
(the operating arm, if you need that, is 13.5 inches)

Again, I suspect that I can't get a perfect match, but I'm wondering if I'm willing to replace the upper and lower hinge, if something like your 2-BAR HINGE SET, 10" Product Code: 36-048 would work? Thanks!

Best, Mark
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2189.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2190.JPG
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Yes, the 36-048 10" Hinge Set is our closest match to this old hinge. Just double-check the dimensions to confirm it will work for you.

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it. So, I am ready to order the 36-048 10" Hinge Set, and I know that they are sold in pairs, but does "pair" refer to top and bottom hinge, or right-hand and left-hand? I need to replace the top and bottom of a casement window that is on the LEFT of another casement window. It's on the LEFT side, and when it opens, the glass on the right side of the window moves outward.

Anyway, will the the 36-048 10" Hinge Set work for the top and bottom of my LEFT window? Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

The two hinges included with the 36-048 are designed to go on the top and bottom of a window sash. They can also work for left or right hand windows interchangeably, so you don't need to worry about handing with this set.

Just seeing this now. Thank you so much. I'll put in the order now.

Best, Mark
I received the 10 inch, 36-048 hinges yesterday. As soon as I opened them and brought them to the
sash bracket on the window, I realized that the diameter on the sash bracket (the round nub that the hinge arm goes on) is too big for the size of the hole on the new swisco hinge (please see the photo on the right). Perhaps I could hammer the hinge arm hole on to the sash bracket, but it would take a lot of force.

So, I suspect I need to buy a new bottom bracket for the window sash--one that will match the 36-048 hinges. I am happy to buy these; can you please tell me which ones will match the 10 inch 36-048 hinges?

But before I put still more $ into this, can you please look at the (left) photo of the top hinge. I took the window out so I could shot that picture for you. Given what you see, do you think the 36-048 hinges plus new sash brackets will do the trick?

Just for a little context: after I bought my house, I realized that the window does not open properly. It turns out, the bottom hinge is just completely missing--not broken, just not there!

Thank you,
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2206.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2207.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us. I'm a little confused as to what you mean. Looking at your photos, it looks like you're trying to mix and match pieces of the 36-048 kit with pieces from your old hinge. That's definitely not what you want to do; the 36-048 is a total replacement for your hinge assembly. I recommend watching our tutorial video below, this will show you exactly how our hardware is meant to install.

A quick learner from Barrington, RI says:
I a so sorry: I did not realize that hinge has both parts (sash bracket for the window and track for the window frame). I'm eager now to install the new hinges. I appreciate your help and patience. Best, Mark
How to Replace a 2-Bar Hinge Set on a Casement Window
How to Replace a 2-Bar Hinge Set on a Casement Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.