replacing channel balance

A home owner from Raleigh, NC says:


Your website is great - pictures and videos are really helpful!

Half of the windows in my 30 year old house have at least one busted window track. I'm attempting to repair one window and if successful will do the others.

Starting with replacing channel balance in 35w x 19h kitchen window.

Definitely 19". Based on website pictures of top and shoe, pretty sure I need the 19" Series 371 Channel Balance Product Code: S371-19. My photos attached for confirmation.

Don't know sash weight range or which of the 4 stamp options to choose. Current track is stamped with ' 18 D' and 'B.S.I.'. Please advise which stamp option I need.

Thank you!
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The Series 371 looks close, yes, and as long as the dimensions of the nylon attachments match I think it's a good place to start. As for the stamp, 18 D usually corresponds to our 1840 option, but you should weigh your sash just in case.
A home owner from Raleigh, NC says:
Thank you, the window weighs 16 pounds so I ordered the 1840 option.

I also ordered (1) 18-124: LH Top Sash Guide, Rollyson and (1) 18-123: RH Top Sash Guide, Rollyson, just in case needed. Do these serve a function other than cosmetic? (Update: now sold in pairs, see 18-124P)

Some channel balances on other windows have busted up through the plastic sash guide and the channel balance is visible when the window is closed. Are any other parts typically needed when replacing the channel balance? For example is anything needed to hold it in position next to the sash?

Thank you.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Great! I agree, 1840 is perfect based on your sash weight. As for the top sash guides, they actually serve an important function. They keep the balances in place while the sash operates. Without them, the balances would just shoot out above the sash. A good example would in fact be your other windows, where the top sash guides have broken.
A home owner from Raleigh, NC says:
Thanks, Paul.
To totally redo a window, is anything else needed other than channel guides and top sash guides?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
No, that should about do it for you in this case.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)