replacing channel balance

A home owner from Raleigh, NC says:

Hi,

Your website is great - pictures and videos are really helpful!

Half of the windows in my 30 year old house have at least one busted window track. I'm attempting to repair one window and if successful will do the others.

Starting with replacing channel balance in 35w x 19h kitchen window.

Definitely 19". Based on website pictures of top and shoe, pretty sure I need the 19" Series 371 Channel Balance Product Code: S371-19. My photos attached for confirmation.

Don't know sash weight range or which of the 4 stamp options to choose. Current track is stamped with ' 18 D' and 'B.S.I.'. Please advise which stamp option I need.

Thank you!
Tom
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The Series 371 looks close, yes, and as long as the dimensions of the nylon attachments match I think it's a good place to start. As for the stamp, 18 D usually corresponds to our 1840 option, but you should weigh your sash just in case.
Thank you, the window weighs 16 pounds so I ordered the 1840 option.

I also ordered (1) 18-124: LH Top Sash Guide, Rollyson and (1) 18-123: RH Top Sash Guide, Rollyson, just in case needed. Do these serve a function other than cosmetic? (Update: now sold in pairs, see 18-124P)

Some channel balances on other windows have busted up through the plastic sash guide and the channel balance is visible when the window is closed. Are any other parts typically needed when replacing the channel balance? For example is anything needed to hold it in position next to the sash?

Thank you.
Profile picture of Paul
Great! I agree, 1840 is perfect based on your sash weight. As for the top sash guides, they actually serve an important function. They keep the balances in place while the sash operates. Without them, the balances would just shoot out above the sash. A good example would in fact be your other windows, where the top sash guides have broken.
Thanks, Paul.
To totally redo a window, is anything else needed other than channel guides and top sash guides?
Thanks.
Profile picture of Paul
No, that should about do it for you in this case.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.