replacing spring balance 47.5"

A quick learner from NY says:
I am looking to replace a set of spring balances on my large tilt out windows. The existing balances are springs in plastic tubing, ~11/16" in diameter, 47.5" long (measuring the tube). They have blue paint on the end. Looking at the Series 600 Spiral Balances.

So my questions are,

A spiral balance is effectively a spring, is this a newer version of a spring balance, can I use it as a replacement if it has the same, screw hole at the top and shoe lock at the bottom?

Does the top screw come with the balance, what size is it?

Are the weight colors standard, mine is marked as blue with no brand marking, can I assume a black colored spiral balance will work?

My balance measures 47.5" long. Is it better to use a 47, 48, or custom balance length?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm not sure if you can use our Series 600 or not. You said that the diameter on yours is 11/16", which is already a red flag. That's huge; no spiral balance has ever been made in that size.  Especially if it's 47-1/2" long on top of that.

Rather than guess, I think it's best if you show me photos of your balance. That way we can be on the same page and I'll be better able to advise you.

A quick learner from NY says:
Looking closer it is a spiral balance inside a spring. I have attached pictures that show the measurements and the top and bottom connections. When remeasured the tube diameter on a flat surface and it looks more like 5/8".

Is there a standard way to calculate the weight of the window sash?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1427.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1426.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1412.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1413.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Ah, I recognize this. This looks like the special Hybrid balance. These are generally used in heavy duty commercial windows, like in schools and stuff, but we do see them in residential homes sometimes. This appears to be one of those times.

The diameter of the outer tube should be 1/2", and there should also be a stamp printed on the tube itself near the top (where the screw is). Can you find that stamp for me? It will tell you the sash weight without you having to weigh it.

If you can't find any stamp, though, then weighing the sash on a scale is your only option. These are calibrated very precisely, down to the ounce in some cases, so you can't really avoid that. Ideally the stamp on the tube will still be readable, so you can use that, but if not then you don't have another option.

A quick learner says:
Thanks Tom. Unfortunately the removed balance does not seem to have any markings on the tube.

Do you supply Hybrid balances? Or if the weight range is appropriate then can these be replaced with standard spiral balances?

I noticed that the upper sash is supported by different balances. Ones with metal tubes and black tips similar to the 600 series. I have attached pictures. Is this common, different balances on the top and bottom sashes, or does it give us more information about what type of replacement balance could be appropriate?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1429.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1430.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1428.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

You're right, that is the Series 600. To answer your question, this is not common at all. In fact it's very weird. Someone must have repaired this window in the past and mixed and matched repair parts. But that just begs the question: which one was original to the window? The Hybrid balance or the Series 600?

We can sell both to you, but at this point I don't know which one is the right one to go with. It honestly just complicates matters way more than they were originally. Do you have an identical window in the house that might still have all its original parts? You could use that as a reference. Otherwise, you will have to be the one to make the judgement call. You could try the standard Series 600 and see how well that works. They can always be returned for a refund, after all, which the Hybrid balances cannot.

We sell both, though. It's ultimately up to you. There is unfortunately no easy way to get confirm the right way to go. Someone repaired this window in the past and used the wrong parts to do so. We're kind of just cleaning up their mess at this point.

A quick learner says:
Thanks Tom. The only other window of the same style has the same setup, 600 on the top sash, hybrid on the bottom.

Two last questions and then I will make a judgement call.

Do the 600 series and 880 hybrids both use a #8 screw? Is it included and at what length?

If I decide to go with an 880 hybrid and cannot find a stamp, then I will have to weigh the sash? The blue painted tip or grey tube do not indicate a strength rating correct?
Profile picture of Tom

I do believe they both use a #8 screw, though they are not included. I'm also not sure what length you need; that depends less on the balance and more on the window. I would recommend taking the original screws to a local hardware store to have them match it up.

If all your windows are designed this way then they must have had a good reason for it. We may as well stick with the mixed and matched Series 600 and Hybrid balance. If there is no stamp on your Hybrid tubes, we will need the exact sash weight, down to the ounce if possible. These are very precise systems.

A quick learner says:
Okay thanks for your help Tom.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.