roller type

A quick learner from 67212 says:
i have a Ray-Dor slider. It has tandem rollers on both ends with the adjustment screw on the end cap. There are two phillips screws above the adjustment screw. I can't tell if this is what keeps the rollers in, or if they are held another way. I can't see how they are attached.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Ray-Dor is unfortunately not a brand I'm familiar with. Before we go any further, can you remove the roller from the door and show me a few photos of it? That would be a huge help!

A quick learner from 67212 says:
well thats part of my question. I can't figure out how to remove it.. I will try again this weekend
Profile picture of Tom

Sure, I'll be here when you need me. If it helps at all, we have a video on how to remove rollers from most patio glass doors. Granted, this guide doesn't apply to every door under the sun, but it may still help you. 

The bad news is that if this doesn't apply to your door then it's anyone's guess as to how to get those rollers out. There are at on of exceptions to this process and they're all a little different.

A quick learner from 67205 says:
If the original poster sees this, I'd appreciate a follow-up response on this issue. I'm in an adjacent ZIP code, and?based on the description in the original post?I think I might have the same kind of door.

If there's any interest, I could try posting some photos when I have adequate daylight.
I want to follow-up here because I tried posting something similar a few days ago, but I don't see my previous post appearing in this thread. I believe I have the same door as the original poster (who is apparently in an adjacent ZIP code), so I was hoping that person would share some experience with this issue from earlier this year.

In any case, I'm attaching relevant photos that illustrate the two-screw situation at both the top and bottom of the door stiles. I realize that these aren't what you typically expect to see in order to identify the roller, but I'm facing the situation of wanting to replace the roller assemblies and being unsure about how to go about removing the originals. I think that was the issue the original poster had.

What complicates matters for my door is that the bottom of the door has pile-type weather stripping on the interior and exterior edges of the bottom rail that obscures the view of the roller assemblies, so I'm puzzled about how to remove the individual wheels or the roller assemblies safely and without damaging the door.

I'll also note that in the past I've removed the door from the frame so that I could clean (as best I could, with the weather stripping in the way) and lubricate the rollers and adjust the roller height, and that helped significantly for a while, but at this point I think the door needs to have the wheels or rollers replaced and the track covered or replaced where it's been worn.

Thank you for providing this service and for your helpful YouTube videos!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20221018_221847220.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20221018_221858691.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20221018_221917324.MP.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Hello! Thank you for reaching out to us. These photos are a huge help, though I am unfortunately not immediately familiar with it. Please give us a little time to look into it and we'll see what we can dig up. Maybe we can offer some insight on how this operates to make repair work easier in the future.

Thanks for the reply! Since I've been unable to find any documentation about this particular door, what I'm hoping for is advice for disassembly. If I know that I can remove the wheels or rollers without damaging the door, then I'd be happy to provide additional photos here if I'm unable to identify a suitable replacement myself.

If I can provide any other photos at this time to assist with your research, please let me know, because at this point I feel like I have a truly sliding (or maybe dragging) door and not a rolling door.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I actually worked on a Thermal break door years ago, which was made by Keller. The roller they used was one that was held in with hooks. It was very much like the 81-022

Now, I'm not sure if your rollers are this same type; you will need to take the door out of the track and remove the entire bottom rail of the door frame itself. You need to take out the two screws at the both ends of the bottom door rail and use a block of wood and a mallet or hammer to gently tap the bottom rail off of the door. Take care not to damage the glass or the frame as you do this. 

If you are not confident in doing this then I would suggest getting a professional familiar with patio doors. It can be tricky and there is a risk of causing irreparable damage if you aren't careful.

Thank you for the update and for sharing your experience! This is the kind of advice I've been seeking.

I've seen the procedure you described in some instructional videos I've watched, and I think it's something I can do. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to remove the entire bottom rail, but I think that's going to be the only way to determine how these tandem rollers are attached, as some of the videos I've seen show that a screw from the top of the bottom rail is what secures the assembly on some doors.

I'll plan to update this thread once I have time and weather that allows me to take the door out and work on it.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Knocking the bottom rail off like that is definitely a hassle, so I don't blame you for wanting to avoid it. Unfortunately that's just the way these doors are designed and it's not possible to access the rollers without doing that first. Modern doors are still a bit of a headache to deal with, but accessing the rollers after the door is removed is much more straightforward. It's just one of those things that comes with owning older doors, which I know all too well myself.

Knocking the bottom rail off was actually less of a hassle than I expected it to be, and I genuinely appreciate your description of the process, because that gave me more confidence in attempting it myself. Once I removed the rail, I was able to gently tap each roller assembly out the respective end. Hopefully the accompanying photos illustrate what I'm working with in a way that might be useful to others.

The assembly I have looks like your part 81-154. It appears to have 1-1/4" wheels with a housing that measures 3-1/8" × 1-1/16" × 3/4" (so not quite 3-1/8" × 1-1/8" × 13/16"), but that part's currently on backorder. (I signed up for availability notifications.) That's the only part I saw in your catalog that appears to have that type of slide-in attachment to the bottom rail, but I'll defer to your expertise if you have an alternative or think my measurements are close enough for a reliable fit.

While you ponder that, I'm going to be watching more of your videos on repairing roller wheels and axles and how to identify and replace weather stripping.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20221025_200324090.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20221025_200613237.MP.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20221025_200724101.MP.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20221025_200737704.jpg
A professional from CA says:
No guarantee, but I've seen 81-154 in a door that looked like this one.
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! These photos are a huge help. I agree with both of you, the 81-154 looks like a good match for what you have here. The dimensions are a little different, but close enough that I think it'll be okay. This part would be my recommendation.

Buy #81-157.
Get 2 longer screws like #33-103. 3/4" should work.
Drill and countersink a hole through the top of the rail the size of the screws.
Use the roller to gauge where to put the holes.
Use the screws to fasten the rollers from the top down.
Worked great for me.
Or just replace the wheels in your old ones.
Drill a hole for adjustment in each end about 3/4" below the old one.
Yesterday I received a notification that 81-154 is back in stock, so I wanted to provide an update here.

I appreciate the input of the professional from CA, though those suggestions were posted after I'd already decided on a solution. Since I didn't know when 81-154 would be available and wanted to be able to complete the repair while the weather was still cooperative, I ordered 81-266 (two sets), 58-099, and 80-102, and threw in 75-077 for good measure with a plan to follow the directions for drilling out and replacing the old wheels as demonstrated in your video, "How to Repair Sliding Glass Door Roller Wheels and Axles". I received the order three days later, and it was everything I needed to rehabilitate this old door. Thanks to Tom's quick responses and especially to Dave Sr.'s clear explanations (as well as the video), I was confident that I could get the door rolling again (and not just sliding/dragging). What I didn't anticipate was the added benefit of how quietly it operates now!

Thank you again for all your help! Hopefully someone else will find this thread helpful in the future.
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.