rollers for door from 1970s

A quick learner from USA says:

Hello,

This morning I called regarding purchasing new bottom rollers for my patio door which was made in the early 1970s. Per the discussion, enclosed are pictures and dimensions of the rollers. I would really appreciate help purchasing new ones as soon as possible since I'm unable to put the door back in.

Thank you,

LeRoy

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2670.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2674.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid that I can't identify what you have from these photos. What you're showing me here is just the internal portion of a complete roller assembly. It's missing the outer housing, which is a vital detail. It's probably still installed in your door.

We need to see the whole thing together in order to recommend a match. I specifically need to see it from the back, top, and sides. I will also need written dimensions of the outer housing, width" x height". Once I have that data I will check our inventory to see if a replacement is available.

I called customer service so they could explain about the outer housing and was told I should try sending pictures of the inside so they might help me. I don't know how to remove the outer housing as you asked for so could get you measurements. Hope you can help . Thanks. Leroy ochab
Profile picture of Tom

Sure, I just looked at the photos you submitted. It looks like you have an aluminum door, so you have to remove the bottom rail of the door first. 

Carefully lay the door down on saw horses or a large table, any stable surface really. Unscrew the two bottom frame screws and with a block of wood and hammer carefully knock off the bottom rail from the glass. You have to use gentle, but firm taps. You don't want to break the glass.

Looking at the rail where the glass fits into you will see a machine screw that is holding the top roller assembly to the frame. Remove the screw and slide out the housing out. 

I have to stress that there is a risk that you can break the glass. If you aren't comfortable doing this then you may want to seek the assistance of a local professional so that they can do it for you. 

Once we see the full assembly together, we should be able to recommend a replacement option.

Enclosed are half of the photos you requested. I will send another message with the other 5 next.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 45AEF3F1-5531-4007-876E-74A59195C7F9.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 47F61081-2657-4483-9841-8CD3629EF7B7.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 515962FD-6694-4A74-83D7-AE0C2AF664CA.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C1F87457-D9A3-460D-9CD4-9283600B91F5.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named FF2EE9E3-BB41-492F-851A-444F7F1FE7A0.jpeg
Here are the remaining 5 photos. When we were looking at the housing, we found the maker, Production Enterprises Inc. from Hialeah, Florida.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 38D29691-637C-4A3A-BE33-DFFC9501366A.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named FCE027B5-AAA2-4C5F-8B98-2250BDFCFAC6.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named CF21674A-F160-4652-AF94-5B16C05ECB3B.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 793E659F-B986-4260-BBD2-6CD8A66DC776.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 26E215F5-94F4-4D61-BD57-763E999A04CE.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Perfect, thank you! This is precisely what we needed to see. My recommendation based on these photos and measurements is our 81-004. I think this is just the thing you're looking for, but you may want to review our specs just to be sure.

Dimensions for 81-004
Dimensions for 81-004

Dimensions for 81-004
Dimensions for 81-004

Hi Tom I received your email saying the mod#81-004 will work. The only question is roller #81-004 has a 1 1/2" roller and mine has a 1 1/4" roller . Please let me know if this makes any difference. Thank you very much. Soon as I here from you that the 1/4" makes no difference I will order two of them. Leroy
Profile picture of Tom

That should still be okay. These rollers adjust, so you can make up for a difference in wheel size that way. Being 1/4" isn't going to be the end of the world.

How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.