sash pivot bar

A home owner from Milwaukee says:
Hello,
I need pivot bars for what I believe to be certainteed windows.
I currently have only the one picture, but if you think you can help,
I can get other pics and dimensions.
Thanks in advance!

Nick
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named xwindow.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Nick. This is the old Certainteed brand pivot bar, yes. It's not made anymore but believe it or not you can use our 26-175 as a substitute. I know it looks very different but Certainteed designed this specifically to replace the original. The video below will show you how it works.

A home owner from Milwaukee says:
Thank you Tom,
I put my order in for the pivot bars. A question for you.
Do you know why some of the windows are hard to open/close and others are not? Is it a matter of lubrication (what would work best) or is there a problem with the "blocks" that the pivot bar fits into?
Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Nick
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

There could be a lot of reasons for why a window is hard to open and close. Your first step should be to remove both the sash and balances and then thoroughly clean the track. Make sure to get out any dirt or debris that may be clogging the works. You'd be surprised how much can get in there from outside; basically, any time you have inclement weather or even a strong wind, you can bet that some gunk will get in your window tracks.

While you have the balances out, examine them for any damage, like if the pivot shoe is cracked or if the springs have unraveled. I can't say exactly what it'll look like, but trust me when I say you'll know it when you see it. It should be obvious. The only damage that won't be visible is if the springs are worn out, but I'll cover that in a second.

After you clean the tracks you should lubricate them with silicone spray. I like silicone spray over WD-40 because oil tends to just attract more dirt. Once they're lubricated, reinstall the sash and balances and try them again to see how things operate.

If you find that the windows are still difficult to open and close then it's to replace your coil springs. They're probably at the end of their lifespan and are starting to hang up. Figure that coil springs are only designed to last around 10 to 15 years depending on how often the window is used.

SWISCO 26-175 CertainTeed Pivot Bar Pair
SWISCO 26-175 CertainTeed Pivot Bar Pair
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.