sash stay / window stop -- looking for more

A home owner from Lake Linden, Michigan says:
I really like this particular sash stay / window stop, but can't find them anywhere (online or locally). I'd like to mount several more; the ones we have were mounted by my grandfather, probably in the late 1940s or early '50s.

They were made by Amundson Products Co., Superior Wisconsin (patent #2075691). It says all that on the back, and via a web search I see that they were known as a "window stop" rather than a "sash stay."

I'm pretty sure Amundson Products is out of business. Is there any way to find out if there are any of these available anywhere?

I have replaced the worn out/crumbling "rubber stopper" part on the ones I have, using whittled down synthetic wine corks. They work great again.

Thanks,

Stephen.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCN2878.JPG
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Stephen. I don't think you will be able to find this part anywhere. I believe these were sold in some hardware stores as another way in holding the sash in place when either the rope or chain broken on the window pulley system, but not for a long, long time. Maybe check with an older hardware store in your area to see if they have any in their old stock. 

We also have the 20-001 sash spring. I can't confirm if it will work, but it may be worth looking at given the circumstances. You would install this on the top of the bottom sash. It creates friction between the sash and track to help hold it up.

Hi Dave Sr.,

Thanks for the confirmation of what I thought: this cool little part is only to be found by chance in the back rooms of old hardware stores or garage sales. Or made at home, somehow.

Our old cabin windows aren't even weighted, but I have been wondering how else to keep windows up with broken sash cords in the house in town (tired of sticks and things). Thanks for the tip on the sash springs; I was not aware of that item, and it might become my next option. I'll check them out.

Big thanks for your help here; I really like this service and so I'll bookmark your site.

Stephen.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

That's just how it goes sometimes, Stephen. Finding parts like this can be like treasure hunting. I've definitely crossed state lines in the effort.

I'm sorry we couldn't offer a better solution for these older windows. I wish you luck for this project.

Well, those sash springs might do the trick for many of our windows, so I think you did great.

Thanks!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.