screen door latch

A handy person from East Hanover, NJ says:
We have a screen door that we mounted on the inside of our front door at work. The latch keeps breaking. We'd like to know if there are any better quality door latch products out there? We have gone through 3 or 4 of these in the last 2 years. Stanley Scrbeen&Storm Knob door Latch. 74-8257/CD1703R. I'll attach a pic of our set-up. Its the shaft that keeps breaking - that holds the two handles together.
Thanks
screen door latch
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Your setup looks to be a little tricky. Your handle could be the 40-033, which has a 1-3/4" mounting hole center spacing. I would wager that the reason it keeps breaking is that people are pulling on the door before the latch is disengaged. Maybe try the pull up type like our the 40-152. That way when people yank on it, it becomes disengaged by design.
A handy person from East Hanover, NJ says:
Okay, we're getting closer. We do not want a handle of any kind if possible on the one side, since we can open the door as pictured, with our hand. Is there anything out there available with a plate that would just connect with the shaft in a way that would allow the inner knob to twist off a latch?
Also attached is a picture of what we have now.
Screen door handle
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. Take a look at the 40-028 in-swing handle set. See if this could solve your problem. It has a surface mounted keeper which could be a little tricky installing on your Z-bar frame. What I have done in the same situation was to cut off and file smooth some of the handle on the one side so that it wouldn't interfere with the prime door. If you do need to cut the handle, just make sure to leave enough of the handle so you can turn the inside latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.