screen door roller assembly, 1.5 inch steel BB roller. concave

A home owner from Maryland says:
I believe this is a Noranda (or nor-guard) 2-panel patio door,around 1984 vintage. Roller assembly fits into lower rail and roller extends down through slot that extends length of rail (see photo).
I have 3 doors that need RnR so would need 6 assemblies.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named screen door roller assembly side v.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Roller assembly end view cr.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named rail end w. assembly.JPG
Just out of curiosity, would plastic wheel assemblies be robust enough for these doors? The rollers don't get much use as the screen doors remain in one position most of the time.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Can you confirm that this is for a screen door? That must be some heavy duty door. The roller you have here is most commonly seen on glass doors. Either way, I think our 81-009 is a promising match. It's very similar to your dimensions and I think will work well as a replacement. You may want to look over our measurements just to be sure.

The question of using a nylon or steel wheel is something I personally go back and forth with. Steel wheels are obviously stronger but they can wear out the track sooner. They're also more susceptible to corrosion. Nylon wheels don't have either of those issues, but they will break sooner. It's pretty much a matter of whether you'd rather replace a track or a roller 15 years from now.

Tom, Thanks so much for your fast reply.
Based on your information it seems prudent for me to switch to plastic rollers. I have looked at the dimensions of the 81-009 assembly. It differs from mine in that the flare is near the bottom of the unit while on mine the flare is level with the mounting hole, which is further up. This would be a problem locking it into place without cutting a new opening in the rail. Also, it appears from the 81-009 photo that the mounting and adjustment locations are reversed (in mine the adjustment screw is at the top). The distance between them could also be problematic. Current strategy is to clean up old roller assemblies and search for plastic wheels to replace metal ones
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Looking at your roller myself and considering your dimensions, I'm thinking that maybe the 81-032B might be a better match. Check it out and let me know what you think.

How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.