screen guides

A handy person from Carson City, Nevada says:

Hello

I have a Pella retractable screen for a slider in a home which was built mid-90s. The screen still works well, but the hook to hold it closed broke off inside the mechanism. I have taken it apart, and it matches the model numbers from the above post where you suggest the 83-122? What I'm curious about is if I order the entire handle set, does it come with the metal insert which contains the latching arm (hook)? That's the only part broken. (I don't suppose it's possible to just buy a new latch?)

I'm attaching a couple of photos... one is another door with the same handle set intact. The next is the handle set removed from the other door (which is a reverse direction set) and the last is the metal insert inside the screen door which contained the locking arm lever. Please let me know if the 83-122 is the appropriate model to replace it with? It looks a little different but as long as it works I don't care if it matches! Thanks

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190504_152229.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190504_152333.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190504_152302.jpg
A handy person from Carson City, NV says:

I have a retractable screen door (two of them actually) and wrote just now about a new latch or handle for one. I did find the Pella Latch 83-115 which looks identical to the one I have which is broken, except for the extension with the thumb indent on it. Is there another which doesn't have that trigger-looking extension off the end of it? Or, can I just cut that off and will it work with my door?

Also, do you guys have replacement guides for the bottom of the screen that fits on the guide channel?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I love these screens, but a few dogs have blasted through them resulting in the current condition. I'll attach the broken latch, one part of the hook is missing but this is what came out of the mechanism.

Derek

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190504_152302.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for contacting us! I agree, the 83-115 looks like a close match. Unfortunately, this is the only style currently made that I know of. I believe yours is an older, discontinued version. If the 83-115 doesn't work, your only hope would be to contact a local shop that deals in Pella hardware and see if they have older stock that you can review. 

You mentioned altering the 83-115 to work, which is possible. A problem is that Pella hardware is notoriously specific. They design their products in such a way as to render alterations and substitutes impractical, if not impossible. I cannot guarantee that such an alteration will work for you.

Sorry we can't offer a closer match!

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll get out my tape and check the dimensions compared to the 83-115. If it's the same save for the trigger release, I'll try to modify one and see if I can get it to work! I don't think I'd have much hope of finding the parts locally.
I forgot to ask... do you have replacement guides for the bottom of the screen (to fit onto the guide channel?)
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Take a look at the Pella screen guide, product code 86-024, and see if this is the one you are trying to find

How to replace a Pella sliding screen door latch
How to replace a Pella sliding screen door latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.