sliding door lock

A home owner from Chicago says:

Hello...My patio door handle knob broke.....see attached pictures.

please let me know if you have the parts.

thanks,

Sanjeev

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named door1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named door2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named door3.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Sanjeev. This thumb lever looks like our 82-107, which is used with these type of handle sets. Look it over and see if you agree. Note that this kind of damage is sometimes indicative of the door's internal mortise lock being broken. To test this, remove your handle set and try manually throwing the old lock with a flathead screwdriver. If it doesn't budge, then you know the mortise lock also needs to be replaced. 

A quick learner from williston, VT says:
Could you explain or show a video of what throwing the mortise with a screw driver means. .
My handles are very loose and the stabilizing small screws are visibly out and the hook of the lock is touching the frame of the lock or tilted it seem and all I can think is hammer it but will take it out , out of alignment.
Profile picture of Bob

I'm afraid I don't have a video that shows the aforementioned process, but what I mean is basically this: remove your handle set from the door, then take a flathead screwdriver. Insert that flathead into the 'keyway' that the tailpiece of the thumb lever usually goes into to interact with the mortise lock, then try seeing if you can use the screwdriver to get the lock to turn. If it doesn't budge, then the lock is broken. If it does move, then it's fine. 

Have you tried re-installing the handle set to see if that makes a difference? The video below shows how to re-install a very similar version of this handle set.

The key lock box did not want to come out of the door.
All of our sliding doors have one mortise that appears jammed. The other issue is that when you turn the lock there is not enough movement on the mortise to properly lock the system up so i you pull really hard its will open.
I will need to replace everything BUT I already have some holes in the frame of the sliding door that need to line up with the replacement. I do see that my mortise count is 4 two on the top and tow on the bottom. I do not think I need that many mortises when none work or engage or move up enough to lock the door. The best thing to do will be to send you a photo of the door handle with lock and see if you can recommend a compatible replacement system that I can install in one door test it and then do the same on all f our sliding doors. Description: Brass but if it comes in another material for exterior that would be fine because the outside handle is tarnished, but we have the same handle everywhere in the house it also has a lock with no key. We have lived 22 yrs in this house and never have replaced the handles with locks. Cradco brass and knob to lock under handle should be pretty standard right.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Cradco Handle lock brass s77 inch sliding door.JPG
I did remove handles and bar that holds them but the lock box where key goes was harder to remove any suggestions.. there was a bit of play back and forth but also it seemed connected to the mortise mechanism which I had unscrewed and pulled a bit to see it I could remove it all but was not able to do you know why the mortise strip would not come out all the way out it was connected to the lock itself is my guess. If the manual lock only moves the mortises by 2 mm forcing it it is broken and needs replacing but I will encounter the difficulty when I attempt i replace the entire system , will try tapping the lock out from one side ( inside out with a hammer) what do you think. That is how I got the handles off the metal bars that hold them in place it was a tight fit. Any idea if I can replace with something that will work and is compatible with the holes in the siding door? Thanks Will review legacy video but is that what I need to buy to replace it but how about the mortise part which one?
Profile picture of Bob

I do recognize this handle set, but I am afraid it's not a kind we can replace. I believe this is part of a multi-point lock system. Nothing we have will replace this, but a local hardware store may be able to assist you. If the lock is still caught to the door at all, you may need to contact a local pro for assistance; unfortunately, this can become a hassle. I apologize we can't be of more help, and best of luck with the repair. 

Can you provide a list of local
pros? i live in Williston Vermont zip 05495
Question unanswered: Is the Legacy handle compatible with the slots for this handle? and how to remove the lock if we do not have the key to unlock it?
Thanks
Profile picture of Bob

I don't have any specific contacts in your area I'm afraid, but you can see a list of handypersons and pros in the Burlington area here. And to answer your other question, no, I don't think our Legacy style handle sets are going to work with your door. The hardware is just too different. Apologies for any inconvenience. 

How to install a Legacy Handle Set
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Sliding Glass Door Latch Lever
How to Replace a Sliding Glass Door Latch Lever
VIDEO
WATCH >
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
GUIDE
READ >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.