sliding window

A home owner from Alexandria, VA says:
I have a problem with one of the sliding windows in my son's condo unit and I want to figure out how to fix it. The window is shut as far as it can go, but it is not latched in the middle. It is missing the strike plate by about 1/8". Is this a problem with the frame or installation and can it be corrected without replacing the lock or the window?
sliding window
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
When the weather warms up, I recommend sliding open both sashes and checking the master frame channel for any blockage that might be preventing the sashes from meeting correctly in the middle. Also, from the constant opening and closing the sash, the center part of the rail where the lock and keeper meet might be bowed and preventing the sashes to meet properly. You would remove the bowed sash from the window and use a rubber mallet to carefully hammer the side rail to the glass. You might have to unscrew the side rail and reset the rail to the glass if the bow won't pull in. I would recommend seeking the help of a professional if you aren't comfortable with this project.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.