13 9 22# BN CALDWELL spring balancer

A home owner from Nevada City, CA 95959 says:
The spring balancers are marked as follow:

13 9 22# BN CALDWELL

The channel is 14" in length. I need 4 each to replace the old ones! Thank you!

Don
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
To begin, it's important to know that there are three variables controlling which balance you need: the length, the strength, and the Series of the balance.

Measuring the metal channel (as you did) yields the length, which is 14", in your case.

The strength depends on the weight of the window sash that the balance must lift. Remove the glass/frame portion of your window and put it on a scale. There is a chart on the item webpage that will tell you which strength option to choose, based on the weight.

As for the Series, we determine it based on the plastic attachments. For two winged attachments, we need to determine if you've got a Series 380 or a Series 385. To do this, measure the bottom shoe, as shown in the photo below. A 1-3/32" shoe indicates the S385-14, but for a 1" balance, you need the S380-14.

Alternate view of 15-004
Alternate view of 15-004
A quick learner from Nevada City, CA 95959 says:
Mike:
Thanks for the your response. The sash weighs 18.8 lbs and the bottom show measures ever so slightly more than 1 2/32. The shoe is definitely more than an inch. So, the weight chart under S385-14 only goes up to 15 lbs. So where do we go from here? Thank you!

Don
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Aha, I see. I think the S385-14 is the way to go. Since the sash is 18.8 pounds, though, it will have to be custom made with a stronger spring. Can you just tell me how many you need? Once I know that, I can email you a custom balance order link and price quote.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.