swisco coil balance in bathroom windows

A home owner from PORT COQUITLAM says:
The bath room window opens by sliding up, but instantly slides back down again.
Which part do we need to replace?
My swisco coil balance part is PAT 5,353,548
WINDOWS SIZE 26(W)INCH * 22(H)INCH (Double Strength Insulated Glass)
User submitted photos of a coil window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
First, look at our 15-087 shoe. Does this match your own? If so, I recommend that you consider our Series 180 coil springs to replace your own. It looks and sounds like your existing springs are shot.
A quick learner from PORT COQUITLAM says:
The 15-087 matches mine. Which balance do I need for the S180? On the right side of my window, there is an S180 outside of 15-087, and the metal band inside 15-087 is not S180 because there is no hole at the end. Why is this?

And what do I do with the S180 outside of the 15-087?
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
If your coil spring doesn't have holes, it probably broke off. There isn't any other way to make sure this spring hooks onto the bracket. See the diagram below to see what I mean.
Detail of 15-086
Detail of 15-086
As for the naked spring, it probably once had something like our 15-086 housing, which attaches to the top of the 15-087. It looks like someone tried to fix it before but took that part out.
A quick learner from PORT COQUITLAM says:
So, both the left and right side of the window should have a 15-087 with a S180 hooked onto he bracket?

Also, in the image, there is an 15-086 with a S180 in it right on top of the 15-087.
I don't have that in my window, do I need to get one for each side of my window as well?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I think your window once had a coil spring inside a 15-086 housing, which was installed on top of the 15-087. In your current window, you just have the coil springs sitting by themselves on top of the 15-087 without a housing, which is now how it's supposed to be. I believe someone tried to repair these windows in the past but did not replace the upper housing.
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.