vinyl window feeling effects of gravity

A quick learner from Houston, Texas says:

Hello

I'm trying to do a window repair. I've had my windows for approx 10 years now, and this is starting to happen to a few of them. When I lift them up to open them, they slam down with full weight. I believe the coil (pic 3209) still works, but my thought is that the window jam (pic 2885)is the cause, as the coil has come loose from the part that has just broke over the years. My question is if that part is universal, or is it specific to this manufacturer, as I can't tell who the manufacturer is, as it's not on the window. And, my window seller is out of business. I do know that there's no screw that affixes the coil to the jam...I believe the coil somehow fits directly into the jam. Please call when you can and let me know what you think.

Thanks

Joe

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2885.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3209.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Joe. Based on your description, you definitely need new balances. These aren't universal, but they aren't specific to the manufacturer either. Most windows are made to use one of several distinct generic parts. 

Yours in particular looks like our 15-111 pivot shoe, which is designed to work with the Series 160 coil spring. Look these two parts over and let me know if you had any questions.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.