What part is causing the problem?

A quick learner from USA says:
here is my problem. i have 40 year old metal bi-fold doors in all the closets. they are bolted together so they swing open like a regular door, so i don't use the pins on the mating edge of the doors, only the outside edge.

on one door only, i can use the slot on the bottom pin and raise the door so it opens without sticking, but, after a period of time, it is back where it was and stuck! funny thing is that a lot of the pins do not have that locking piece 21-154. any idea why it keeps dropping?

how can i be sure that the parts below are the ones i would use - got this from your video

21-007, 21-001, 21-154

i have attached photos of top and bottom of the door with a problem
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20180525_160004118_iOS.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20180525_160021578_iOS (1).jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Ah, it does look like you have the older model of Slimfold door. If your bottom threaded pin is 5/16", you might just need the 21-154 rod clamp to keep the pin from unwinding, or you can buy a new pivot pin, 21-001. Your top spring loaded pivot pin looks fine, but if you want to replace it, look and compare 21-065 as a replacement.

A handy person from MA says:
back again. i watched the installation video. the doors look just like mine but...

talking just the pins for the top and bottom on the hinge side only - should they be the same size except for the slot on the bottom one?

for the top - since i have plenty of pins, i see 21-156 and 21-252. what is the number for the cap?

for the bottom, i will order the 21-001 since none of the pins i have include the slot for the screwdriver

thanks
Profile picture of Paul

HI, welcome back! The nylon cap for the 21-001 is 21-106 and for the 21-007 it is the 21-105. Hope this helps.

A handy person from MA says:
i am still trying to determine if the pins on the top 21-007 with the spring and bottom 21-001 are the same thickness, like mine seem to be???
as it turns out, with all the pins i have, none of them have slots for adjusting so i will have to order all new 21-001.
for the top, i have plenty of pins but they look thicker than the 21-007 photo you sent me and you can compare to the photo i sent you. need help to determine if i need the 21-007'>21-007 or 21-065 style.
since i have pins, once you determine which top style i need, can you then tell me what parts i need to order to add to the pin.

thank you for your patience
Profile picture of Paul

In your photo (#160021) that shows the bottom adjusting pin, you can make out a slot cut in the top for the screwdriver. The thickness of our 21-001, 21-065 and the nylon sleeve on the 21-007 spring loaded guide pins are all 5/16" in diameter. You do need the slot for adjusting the bottom adjusting pin, but you don't need a slot for the top pivot pin and the two guide pins. The spring keeps the tension on the pins in the track.

How to Install Bi-Fold Closet Door Pins
How to Install Bi-Fold Closet Door Pins
VIDEO
WATCH >
Bi-fold Door Repairs
Bi-fold Door Repairs
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.