which channel balance to use

A home owner from Yuba City, California says:
The balance I will need is 31 inches long and would be series 385 i can tell by the winged top and bottom pieces. I am not sure about a weight range. My balance on the bottom shows 31 3 EO i believe or EQ not sure. The windows were put in with the new house in 1997 we are 1st owners. I will definitely both two balances to do both sides.

Thanks
Jerry Quintana
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Let's go back to basics here: I need you to re-measure your balance. It's pretty unlikely that a balance marked "31 3" would measure 31 inches. Measure the metal channel, but don't include the length of the plastic ends. I suspect you will end up with 32 inches, but I could be wrong, so measure carefully.

As far as the stamp option, you simply need to mash up the "31 3" code to get "3130". You can remove and weigh the window to confirm that option.

The last thing to verify is the Series 385 identification. Are you sure? Did you measure your shoe? The Series 380 and Series 385 are identical except for the size of the bottom plastic shoe. You'll need to measure the shoe from front to back, as shown below. If you get 1", choose a Series 380. If you get 1-3/32", choose the Series 385.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
A home owner from Yuba City, California says:
Mike
Thanks
You are correct the balance measures 32" measuring the metal portion from the side not the bottom.
The 3130 would be the correct weight and the bottom shoe is about 1 inch so the 380 series is correct.
Thanks for your help
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.