width of bubble seal relative to window

A home owner from South Florida says:
My 25 year old windows currently have what look exactly like your 58-135 product. It's looking a little deteriorated but generally in ok shape. However, they all have a concerning issue. At each window, the bubble seal does not extend the entire window width. Looking at the window bottom from the outside, the right and left sides have no seal for about an inch. Is there any functional reason this type of seal should not extend the full width of the window? Or has it just shrunk over time and needs to be replaced?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220407_100841.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

The only reason I can think of for why your bubble seal would be too short on either side is if some piece of hardware installed there when the window was made. That said, I can't really think of what that piece could possibly be. A more likely explanation is that whoever installed this seal in the first place just didn't do a very good job of it. That's more common than you'd think.

Your best bet in my opinion is to just buy replacement seal and ensure that it's cut to cover the full width of the track. In a worst case scenario, if you find that you do need that gap for whatever reason, you can always snip an inch or so off the end. I feel pretty confident that won't ever be necessary, though.

A home owner from South Florida says:
Thanks Tom! I have 3 rolls of your 58-135 on order, to replace all seals in house. I agree that the most likely cause of being too short is a poor installation by builder/contractor.
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.