window balance non-tilt

A home owner from Fort Myers, FL says:
Dear Madam or Sir,

please check out the attached images. I would need 2 window balances for a non-tilt window, as well as the brackets since those seem to be bent. I am not sure if I need a spiral balance ... as you see in one picture, I pulled on the balance that reveals a spring instead.

The window is a non-tilt PGT - Single Hung - SH - 701, additional numbers FPA FL-239, FL 239, plus the label states a number 6LGSHSTKAB (whereas the A could be a R as well).

Hoping you can help!

All the Best,
Peter
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us. The bracket itself looks like our 17-083. Keep in mind this is meant to attach to the upper pin, not the bottom one like your photos show. The bottom pin needs to be kept clear so you can use a charging tool like our 75-033 to install the balance.

I'm not sure if you need a new balance, either. We can replace it, though it will need to be specially made. Does your window fall when you open it? Is it damaged in any other way? I will email you a special order link for 2 of these if you want to purchase them just in case.
A quick learner from FL says:

After the newly received balance rods have been put in … they do not hold the window open. It seems, that the tension is even less than the original balance rods!!

Please note that the balance rods (new and old) are not spiral tension rods which can be “charged up”, but those have a spring inside with most likely a fixed tension.

I assume that the delivered custom made balance rods are not adjusted the correct way, even so they look the same, have same measurements, and same numbers.

Attached you will find pictures featuring one of the old and one of the new balance rods (as requested via phone).

Please let me know what can be done via email or phone.

I also can mail in the new and one of the old balance rods if needed! Furthermore I am happy to provide you with a photo of the label on the window.

All the Best,

Peter

User submitted image of their window hardware.

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us, Peter. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. I've received your pictures, but I gotta say I'm at a loss. The stamps are identical between them. Logically speaking, they should carry the same weight.

Like you noted, these heavy duty balances can't be charged up like your typical spiral balance. They're precisely calibrated to your sash weight when they're made. This is why going by the stamp is so important. 

There are two possibilities: either there was some error when they made your old balance, or there was some error when they made our new balance. I'm kind of leaning towards an error with our new balance, just because that makes the most sense to me, but just to be 100% sure I would like you to tell me the exact weight of your sash. That will eliminate all other possibilities and we can work more confidently towards a solution from there.

I'm very sorry again for the inconvenience. I'm confident we can figure this out.

A handy person from Ft. Myers says:
Hello Paul,

thanks a lot for your response.
The sash has 22kg, translating to 48.5 lb.
It is quite heavy. Does this info help??

All the Best,
Peter
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thank you. That's exactly the weight these balances were calibrated to support, so there was definitely an error somewhere. Did you try another new balance to see if the that held the weight of the sash? I want to know if they all failed, or just the one. Hopefully we can resolve this.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.