window balances missing from lower pane

A quick learner from Green Bay, WI says:
Hi i recently purchashed a set of series 500 balances. i measured the top balances as a starting point. 21" is the top balances lengthes for the top pane so i ordered that size. The brackets were missing as well so i picked the style that closely matched the brackets on the top which were two diff styles on the same window( go figure).

When i installed them today i had difficulty installing the balance thru the bracket (17-083) and the balances were 3 3/4 to short from where they should but up against the top of the window frame so after wrestling to get the spiral tip end thru the bracket and installing the balances is when i noticed that i have the wrong application

is it possible To return them for a diff style shoe and longer balances once they are installed?

Here is a photo of my set up as it is with the shorter balances they are doing the job but i feel they should be to the top like the other windows in the home.
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Yes, it sounds like you need a longer balance. Do you have the original bottom sash balances handy? That would be the best way to determine length, since top sash balances and bottom sash balances aren't always the same.

If not, what is the glass height of the bottom sash? Again, it will be hard to say exactly what you need but that will be a good place to start, at least.

I also think you may have been better off with a bracket like our 17-012. What do you think?
A quick learner says:
Yea i think so cuz the end of the spiral sticks out the bottm of the window not allowing it to fully close and latch.

If i measure the glass its about 21" and both panes are equal in height. But like a mentioned the balance fully extended with the window closed leaves me about 3 3/4 short of where it should be

that shoe you suggested and a 24" balance should do the trick can i send the other set back for refund?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Alright, I think for the bottom sash it'd be a good idea to add 3" to the glass height, which would bring you to a S500-24. For the top sash, it's recommended to add just 1" more, so look at our S500-22. What do you think?
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.