window coil balance replacement

A home owner from Albany NY says:
My window won't stay open. What parts are needed to replace the window coil balance? Pictures are uploaded. Thanks
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1267.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1270.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1271.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1278.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1280.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Your pivot shoe looks like our 15-111, which is designed be used with the Series 160 coil spring. Look these parts over and let me know what you think.

15-111 is the right size for my window. The coils in that window are messed up. What other parts do I need to replace the coils?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1267.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1270.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1271.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1278.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1280.JPG
Profile picture of Tom

Like I mentioned in my first response, the 15-111 is designed to be used with the Series 160 coil spring. You should review the information we have for this part to confirm that it's correct.

The existing coil is 1/2 inch thick. The window weighs 15 lbs. There are two coils on each side of the window. Do I need four 4.5 LBS Series 160 Coil Balance's for my window?
Profile picture of Tom

Great, if your spring is 1/2" thick then the Series 160 is definitely the way to go. I'm worried two 4.5 springs would be too strong, though. That's an overall difference of 3 pounds, which may be pushing it.

Instead, consider using one 3.5 spring and one 4.5 spring on each side. That comes out to 16 pounds, which is more agreeable in my opinion. As long as the weight is symmetrical then you should be fine.

The parts you recommended for my window worked great. Thanks!

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.