window cranks

A handy person from Maryland says:

We have 3 casement windows on which the cranks have all broken. I've attached pictures here (all 3 are identical). The mechanism on the windows themselves still work, but the cranks themselves are not working because the stem seems to have come apart from the base (I'm not sure if I'm using the terms correctly). I cannot see any screws on the base, so it's not obvious to me how they are attached to the window frame (perhaps they are on the outside of the house?). Please let me know if you can identify the necessary parts.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window crank 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window crank 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window crank 3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window crank 4.jpg
Sorry for the piecemeal emails, but I've just determined that it's an "awning window." I've added a picture of the window when open.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window crank 5.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello, thank you for writing in. Unfortunately when this happens it means that the gears are stripped and the only option is to replace the whole operator. I would be happy to assist you in identifying a replacement, but I will need to see the entire assembly, unobstructed by the screen. I would particularly like to see it from a birds eye perspective. Many thanks!

Yes, Please. I've attached pictures. Let me know if you need any measurements.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window crank 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window crank 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window crank 3.jpg
Profile picture of Casey

Thanks for these follow up pictures! Take a look at the parts I've listed on the side. Compare their measurements to your original part to see if any of them may be a match. 

The length of the arms (when fully closed) is 21" and the hole in the window through which the entire contraption fits before it is attached to the outer window, is 5".

Also, does these operators include the actual arm (i.e., the thing one turns to open and close the window)?

Also, can you please tell me what else I need to order -- do I need an operator cover, a sash bracket, a crank handle, etc.? (I need 4 full assemblies.)

Profile picture of Casey

It sounds like our 39-083 would be the closest match for your operator. The related parts include the 39-114L crank handle, and the 39-170 sash bracket. Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!

Before I place the order, I have one more question. The video you have on your site shows the sash bracket attached to the bottom edge of the window itself. As you can see from the photos, in my current set-up, the piece to which the brackets attach is on the front, not the bottom, of the window. I am worried that there will not be enough "clearance" to attach this sash bracket on the bottom of my window (they are wood, not vinyl, and the bottom edge is flush with the window trim). So will it possible to attach th3 39-170 sash bracket the same way (on the face of the window rather than along the bottom edge)?
Profile picture of Casey

Ah, I see what you mean. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to attach the bracket to the face of the window, as you have it in your original set up. As far as I can determine, I believe it should still work for you.

Okay, thanks. If I order 4 sets of the parts and it doesn't work, is it all returnable?
Profile picture of Casey

Yes, you can return stock items within 30 days of delivery. You can view our full return policy here

How to Replace an Awning Operator
How to Replace an Awning Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace an Awning window operator
How to replace an Awning window operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.