window hard to open/close

A home owner from Boston says:
Hi,

I have a couple of tilt windows that are hard to open and close (go up or down). Do you think it will help if I replaced the spiral balance?

Thanks a lot,
Li
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
It certainly could be the case that your balances are causing the problem. Hard-to-open windows are a typical sign of worn-out balances. You might benefit from replacing the balances on both sides of your window, but I can't say without seeing. If you'd like, remove a balance from the window and take a photo. You can send it in for us to take a look at.
A home owner from boston says:
One of the window can be opened normally, but hard to close. Do you think replacement the spiral balances could help? Thanks.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
You might need to replace them if they are old. The grease dries up on the spirals and can give you problems while opening and closing. If you want, try adding some white grease to the spirals and see if that helps. Otherwise, the balances might need an adjustment. Take a charging tool like our 75-006 and give the spirals another turn or two to see if it helps. Don't go with too much more than two turns, or you risk killing your balances once and for all. If the balances should fail or continue not to work after you try greasing and charging them, you will need new balances.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.