window parts

A home owner from South Portland,Maine says:
hi ...I just got off phone with Jody wish we could have spoken a bit more ... my window's measurement is in one of the pics(30 1/2 * 56 1/4) the date on the label is 1998 ... I need to order parts to fix my tilt replacement window .. hope these measurements are helpful ... measuring to the nearest 32nd is difficult ... hope it works .. I need 2 spiral balances which measure from end to end of metal tube is 27" which she quoted the part number is S900-27 .. I need 4 pivot shoes , 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 wide 1/2 to 5/8 deep and 2 1/8 high ...need 4 metal pegs that come out of window ( I sent a picture ) are 3 1/8 long (1 was broken in the pic)...
thank-you,
Stella
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2169.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2175.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2176.JPG
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Stella. Let me see if I can help you wrap this up. Let's go through each part one at a time.

• Spiral Balance--If the diameter of the spiral balance's outer tube is 3/8", and if the tube not including the tip is 27", then it definitely sounds like you have a S900-27. You will need to select a color tip option. These color tips reflect the amount of weight the balance is meant to support. If you're uncertain what color tip you have--which happens a lot with older balances--weigh your window sash. You can then match that exact weight with the corresponding color option: If the sash weighs 10 through 22 lbs, go with the red tip. If it weighs 24 through 34 lbs, go with the yellow tip. If the balance has a larger diameter, let us know first. 
  • Pivot Shoe--This is either a 15-188 or 15-178. The only difference between these two pivot shoes is the thickness. The 15-188 is 1/2" thick, the 15-178 is 17/32" thick. If you think your old shoe is a bit thicker than 1/2", chances are this this is an older version of the 15-178. But do your best to check just to be safe. 
  • Pivot Bar--This is the pin that connects the sash to the pivot shoe. See our 26-226. The most relevant dimensions, other than the shape of the end that inserts into your pivot shoe, is the distance between the end of the pin that fits into the shoe and the center of the mounting holes. As long as one of these holes aligns with your old pivot bar, this can work for you. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window pivot bar
How to replace a window pivot bar
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.