window springs for American Craftsman series 9500 from about 2008

A handy person from oxford, ct says:
looking for window springs for American Craftsman series 9500 from about 2008
I'm not totally sure who took over the company, but I had heard that Anderson did, so that might help.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for your patience during this busy season. I'm not sure what springs you have, unfortunately. I would like you to remove an undamaged version from the window and show me a picture of it by itself. That will give us an idea of what you have.

We will very likely need more photos after that, but I have to know what to ask for, first. Just something to keep in mind.

A handy person from oxford, ct says:
Hello, I reached out to you about 6 months ago and can finally get back to you. I was looking for window springs for American Craftsman windows from about 2008. I have some photos that I got a chance to take a while back.

Here are the photos of the window springs I need
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Spring 2.PNG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Spring 3.PNG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Spring.PNG
Profile picture of Tom

These photos are perfect, thank you. Please see our 15-087 pivot housing, 15-086 secondary housing, and Series 180 coil spring. If the only thing that broke is the spring then you can reuse your old housings.

A home owner from Oxford, CT says:

I believe that 15-087 coil housing pivots are the correct ones for this window, but I'm not sure what springs I need. Each sash is about 20 h x 27.5" w if that helps at all. They slide easily and don't seem that heavy. I just want the proper parts.

Thank you,

Tom

Profile picture of Tom

The sash size doesn't tell me what Series 180 you need. You'll have to remove one of the old springs and get the stamp printed on them in order to choose the right option. If those stamps are faded away, which often happens, then we'll need you to give us the exact weight of the sash instead. 

Thanks. Give me a couple days. It's way too cold to pull the sash out to weigh it right now.

Thank you,

Tom

Profile picture of Tom

Totally understandable. We're freezing half to death down here in NJ so I can only imagine how bad it is up there. 

There's no rush at all on our end, we're happy to help whenever you need it.

Hello,

I found an old spring and it has a 7 (plus a smaller 2 after it) stamped into it. So mystery solved! I HOPE!

Where do we go from here?

Thank you,

Tom 

Profile picture of Tom

Hey, Tom. That tells me that your springs carry 7 pounds each, which would be the S180-7. Since you have four springs supporting your sash all told, that means your sash should weigh 28 pounds. You may want to weigh your sash on a scale to confirm that this is correct before you buy anything.

Thanks Tom. I'm going to wait a bit on that like I said before. I've had that out and I don't recall it weighing that much. I also don't remember 2 spring housings per side. I have another window unit on the other side of the same room, so I'll take a look at it to see what I can and report back.

Thank you,

Tom

Profile picture of Tom

Sure thing. I just wanted to note that looking at the photos you sent, me whatever window that is definitely has two springs per side. You're showing the 15-087 pivot housing with the 15-086 secondary housing stacked on top of it, and each of these carries one spring. Just something to keep in mind.

Tom,

Explain to me why I only remember attaching one spring at the clip up above. Or does that second spring wind up inside the other case?

Just trying to figure it in my mind. It is what it is and if it needs the double then that's what I'll get.

Thank you for putting up with me.

Tom

Profile picture of Tom

I can't say for sure whether the housings you have in your window now actually have two springs inside them right now. All I can tell you is that your assembly, as it is now, is designed to take two springs: one in the top housing and one in the bottom housing. Whether or not that's how they were actually installed is another matter.

WOW!

I just thought about the pictures I sent you and they are from a different window that's way bigger. I took the pictures of those since I had the sash out at the time. The upstairs bathroom units don't have that other case on top. If I can get a picture of that one I can send it, but I don't think you need it. Let me know.

It's funny as I was just sitting here thinking about the weight of the sashes and I said to myself, you sent pictures of a bigger window unit.

Thank you,

Tom

Profile picture of Tom

Ooooooh, I see. That makes a lot of sense then.

In that case, there's a very good chance you only need the 15-087 pivot housing. You can ignore the 15-086 entirely.

That also means that this smaller window would only weigh 14 pounds, assuming it has the same springs marked with 7. That seems more in line with what you're dealing with.

Ok Tom,

So if I finally got this correct, I would need

2 S180-7 springs per sash

2 15-087 Pivot Housings per sash

I want to buy 4 of each so I have backup for the other window because if this one messed up then it could be curtains for the other one soon. Then at least I won't have to wait.

Do I place the order with you TOM? Please let me know when you can.

Thank you,

Tom

Profile picture of Tom

Awesome! Sounds great. All orders can be placed directly on our site at your convenience. You can just add each product to your cart from their respective store pages, then checkout to finalize your order.

Tom,

Thank you so much for all your help. You and anybody else I worked with were very nice, helpful and knowledgeable and that means a lot to me. You guys made it easy. Now I have a place to turn to for window parts.

BTW-Do you sell parts for other things or are you limited to windows? Just wondering.

Tom

Profile picture of Tom

That's very kind of you to say so. We certainly try our best.

We do sell other types of home repair parts, yes; our specialties are windows and sliding patio doors, but we also sell hardware for closets, drawers, cabinets, and to a lesser extent shower doors, in addition to a few odds and ends here and there. You can see our complete inventory here.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.