Looking for replacement window weatherstripping

A home owner from California says:
I'm replacing weatherstripping on my 35+ year-old aluminum windows. The track in which the window rides appears to be 1 1/32" wide (maybe 1 1/16" in some places) and the windows themselves are 7/8" wide. The windows take pile weatherstripping in 9/32" channels on both the inside and outside.

1. What thickness of pile do you suggest?

2. From another supplier I obtained zipper pile carrying the CR Laurence name, in more than one thickness. I do not think the quality is good, as the pile fibers come off too easily. (Small remnants of pile with a non-zipper-type backing from an unknown source that I obtained from a local window shop were much better.) Do you sell material from the same manufacturer, and does your pile behave this way?

3. Is this possibly an issue with zipper backing in general? Zipper backing is certainly easier to install but I'll go with a non-zipper backing if that's what it takes for better durability of the fibers.

Thanks!
Ken
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Ken. We carry many different seals with a 9/32" backing, but I'm not sure what height you need. Start with our 58-099, 58-105, and 58-126. Could you get any of these to work?

I can't speak for the manufacturer who made the wool pile you dealt with before. Our wool pile is of a great quality and we've never heard any complaints about it falling apart. It's possible the sample you had before was old or brittle. Wool pile starts to break down like you describe when it gets old.
How to identify replacement weatherstripping.
How to identify replacement weatherstripping.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace wool pile weatherstripping
How to replace wool pile weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.